Chicagoland Burst & Frozen Pipe Repair
24-Hour Emergency Plumbers
Plumbing problems can be inconvenient. But frozen or burst pipes can be a real disaster if you don’t act fast. ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric believes winter emergency services are critical to your safety.
If it’s not an emergency, we’ll work on your schedule. But emergency repairs get top priority. Call ABC at 888-868-6667 anytime to request emergency service for burst and frozen pipes.
Why Would My Pipes Burst?
Pipes don’t always burst during a big freeze, but for Northern Illinois, that’s usually the cause. When water freezes inside a pipe, the expanding ice pressure causes it to literally burst out of the pipe.
You can turn on your faucets for a slow drip to keep water flowing through very cold plumbing pipes. You can wrap basement and crawl space pipes with insulated heat tapes. But even when you do everything right, frozen pipes can happen.
Other causes of burst pipes include:
- Corrosion – Plumbing pipes should last decades. If you have an older property, corrosion can weaken pipes.
- Movement – If not properly secured, water pipes can move around inside your walls when you turn the water on and off. The movement weakens the pipe joints until one or more disconnect. The property damages can be extensive (and expensive).
- Water Pressure – Sudden increases or changes in water pressure can burst a pipe. Causes of water pressure surges can include:
- Clogs – Fixtures and pipes develop sediment and mineral buildup over time, which can block the water flow and cause surges.
- Cracked pipes – This usually happens in the winter and causes leaks.
- Pressure regulator – This appliance controls the water flow; if it fails, you can have water pressure surges.
- Water heater – Age or lack of regular maintenance can lead to water heater failures.
- Water shutoff valve – An accidental bump can reduce water pressure quickly.
- Water usage – Sudden demands in water consumption can stress water lines and cause surges/breaks.
If you notice a leak or sudden drop in water pressure, call 888-868-6667 or contact ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric.
How to Prevent Frozen Pipes
In Chicagoland, in January, 32°F is about as warm as it gets. When your plumbing pipes’ surrounding air temperature drops to 32° or below, your pipes can freeze and burst.
Here are 10 tips to protect your pipes from freezing:
- Add insulation to your attic, basement, and crawl space.
- Check for areas where water supply lines are unprotected/unheated and insulate them using heat tape or other products approved for that use. You may want to consider relocating exposed pipes.
- Close inside valves supplying water to outdoor hoses but keep the outside valves open.
- Drain and store lawn hoses.
- Drain swimming pool and lawn sprinkler water supply lines. Don’t put antifreeze in those lines unless the manufacturer recommends it. Antifreeze is dangerous to humans, pets, and our environment.
- Keep garage doors closed.
- Keep your home temperature consistent day and night. Lowering the temp at night can lead to water pipes’ freezing problems.
- Never completely turn off the heat in your home. If you’re on vacation, set your thermostat to at least 55°F.
- Open kitchen/bathroom cabinet doors. (Be sure to remove any harmful cleaners/chemicals if you have children or pets.)
- Open up faucets to a slow drip.
Call the Experts at ABC to Fix Your Frozen Pipes
You may be able to thaw frozen pipes yourself. But it’s dangerous to try to repair frozen and burst water pipes or sewer lines. If you have frozen and burst water pipes, let’s put safety first and fix it right. Call 888-868-6667 or contact ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Tom was awesome! He is very personable and explains the whole process well. He did a great job and ensured that he used 5-star service throughout the process. I will definitely use ABC and Tom again in the future for electrical work.”–
“Bill showed up on time to repair our broken air conditioner. ABC kept in touch throughout the day to let me know time he would be arriving too. Bill was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We wound up signing up for monthly care package because Bill and ABC really made…”–
“We were very pleased with the service performed by Brett Pack in performing the annual maintenance of our air conditioning unit. He noted it was low on refrigerant, which he then added after consulting with us. He also made sure we took advantage of all available discounts.”–
“Tom did a super job fixing our electrical problem. He is one of the best electricians I have ever had in my home for repair work. I would highly recommend Tom and ABC Company if you need any type of electrical work. He took his time and explained everything and…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Our AC was not working in the 90-degree summer heat. Josh identified that power was not going to the furnace blower. He identified that power was not going to the furnace breaker. His keen eye spotted that the wire leading into the breaker had frayed. He cut out the frayed…”–