The Right Way To Care For Your Water Heater
Imagine life without hot water this winter. Hard to think about, right? Well, if you don’t spend a few minutes taking care of your equipment this fall, that’s exactly how you’ll end up. And we don’t mean to scare you, we just want to make sure you’re getting the most out of your water heater while keeping it running efficiently and reliably.
Here’s what you need to do as soon as you get a couple of minutes of downtime this week or weekend:
- If you have an older unit, it’s a good idea to insulate it. Look for a fiberglass jacket to improve efficiency, but be careful to avoid contact with the flue.
- Keep at least 2-3 feet of clearance around the unit.
- Take a look at the temperature setting. It should be set no higher than 120°F and keep in mind that you’ll save 5% in energy costs for every 10 degrees you lower the temperature.
- Drain the tank at least once per year. This will help to remove sediment build-up and will allow the unit to operate more quietly.
- Heading out of town for a few days? Adjust the thermostat to the “vacation” setting. The pilot light will remain lit, but no water will be heated. The result? Much-needed energy savings.
Having issues with your water heater? Contact the pros at ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling & Electric today! Our specialists will come by to diagnose the problem and provide you with the best possible solution.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Tom was awesome! He is very personable and explains the whole process well. He did a great job and ensured that he used 5-star service throughout the process. I will definitely use ABC and Tom again in the future for electrical work.”–
“Bill showed up on time to repair our broken air conditioner. ABC kept in touch throughout the day to let me know time he would be arriving too. Bill was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We wound up signing up for monthly care package because Bill and ABC really made…”–
“We were very pleased with the service performed by Brett Pack in performing the annual maintenance of our air conditioning unit. He noted it was low on refrigerant, which he then added after consulting with us. He also made sure we took advantage of all available discounts.”–
“Tom did a super job fixing our electrical problem. He is one of the best electricians I have ever had in my home for repair work. I would highly recommend Tom and ABC Company if you need any type of electrical work. He took his time and explained everything and…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Our AC was not working in the 90-degree summer heat. Josh identified that power was not going to the furnace blower. He identified that power was not going to the furnace breaker. His keen eye spotted that the wire leading into the breaker had frayed. He cut out the frayed…”–