The Right Way To Care For Your Water Heater
Imagine life without hot water this winter. Hard to think about, right? Well, if you don’t spend a few minutes taking care of your equipment this fall, that’s exactly how you’ll end up. And we don’t mean to scare you, we just want to make sure you’re getting the most out of your water heater while keeping it running efficiently and reliably.
Here’s what you need to do as soon as you get a couple of minutes of downtime this week or weekend:
- If you have an older unit, it’s a good idea to insulate it. Look for a fiberglass jacket to improve efficiency, but be careful to avoid contact with the flue.
- Keep at least 2-3 feet of clearance around the unit.
- Take a look at the temperature setting. It should be set no higher than 120°F and keep in mind that you’ll save 5% in energy costs for every 10 degrees you lower the temperature.
- Drain the tank at least once per year. This will help to remove sediment build-up and will allow the unit to operate more quietly.
- Heading out of town for a few days? Adjust the thermostat to the “vacation” setting. The pilot light will remain lit, but no water will be heated. The result? Much-needed energy savings.
Having issues with your water heater? Contact the pros at ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling & Electric today! Our specialists will come by to diagnose the problem and provide you with the best possible solution.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Have never had such an excellent technician to evaluate our furnace problem. If he hadn't been so thorough, it possibly could have resulted in a carbon monoxide disaster. A true professional!”–
“After a long day on a Friday (first snow of the year - lots of customers without heat), Dion L came to perform routine furnace inspection and filter change. Dion was courteous, efficient, informed us of all that he was doing, showed us an area of concern and how we…”–
“Ron S., fixed an electrical short in the attic, which prevented a fire. He rewired the attic thru the bedroom ceiling light. He replaced an outside electrical connection, and repaired my ceiling fan. The attic wiring was very crazy. He did an outstanding job figuring it out and fixing the…”–
“I called other before I call ABC and was giving long wait and schedule time to come out and check the heating system. So I received a message on the web about ABC Plumbing and Heating. So I called the company right away and they said what time would you…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Paul B. serviced my furnace yesterday with an inspection and cleaning. He didn't stop there though, I had purchased a new filter for my humidifier on the furnace and he replaced that for me, showed me how to do it in the future and explained how to adjust the humidity…”–