4 Things You Should Know About Your Home Sump Pump
During an average summer the Chicago area receives over a foot of rain. This can keep your home’s sump pump working nearly continuously to keep your basement dry.
As mechanical things go, we don’t often think about the sump pump. It’s down in the basement, out of sight and out of mind. In reality, your sump pump is one of the hardest working pieces of equipment in your house.
A typical submersible sump pump drains water year round, and when a rainstorm hits the water pump works extra duty keeping your basement from flooding. Most suburban Chicago homes have sump pumps to aid in basement drainage. So, here are a couple of things to consider:
- Sump pumps are mechanical and will eventually fail. Average sump pump life is 10 years. The most common reason for failure is the sump pump switch.
- If your sump pump fails during a rain storm, hundreds of gallons of water can flood your basement in a matter of minutes. It doesn’t take much water to cause thousands of dollars in damage.
- Basement flooding can ruin your furnace, water heater and other mechanical and electrical devices. According to the Gas Appliance Manufacturers Association these appliances must be replaced.
- Sump pumps should be checked for proper operation a couple of times per year – pour some water into the sump pit until the submersible pump cycles. This is usually an easy process and only takes a couple of minutes. Don’t wait for a failure during a rainstorm to find out your sump pump doesn’t work.
Again, all sump pumps eventually fail, so you should protect your home with a battery backup sump pump. If you have a finished basement, a battery backup system is essential.
Battery backup systems range from basic to very elaborate. My experience has been the basic systems seem to fail when you need them most. While you don’t need to spend a fortune, you will find that for a few extra dollars you can get a good quality battery backup sump pump. These systems give you an extra measure of defense. They not only protect your belongings in case of a power failure, but automatically kick in should your primary water pump fail.
ABC Plumbing, Heating, & Cooling offers a variety of quality sump pump and sump pump backup systems including ABC Commander dual pump, Zoeller sump pump, Aquanot, Hydromatic sump pump, and the ultimate backup system, Tramco pump. These systems provide around the clock protection, and in fact can pump more water per minute than many primary sump pumps. We can help you determine which sump pump system is right for your home.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Tom was awesome! He is very personable and explains the whole process well. He did a great job and ensured that he used 5-star service throughout the process. I will definitely use ABC and Tom again in the future for electrical work.”–
“Bill showed up on time to repair our broken air conditioner. ABC kept in touch throughout the day to let me know time he would be arriving too. Bill was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We wound up signing up for monthly care package because Bill and ABC really made…”–
“We were very pleased with the service performed by Brett Pack in performing the annual maintenance of our air conditioning unit. He noted it was low on refrigerant, which he then added after consulting with us. He also made sure we took advantage of all available discounts.”–
“Tom did a super job fixing our electrical problem. He is one of the best electricians I have ever had in my home for repair work. I would highly recommend Tom and ABC Company if you need any type of electrical work. He took his time and explained everything and…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Our AC was not working in the 90-degree summer heat. Josh identified that power was not going to the furnace blower. He identified that power was not going to the furnace breaker. His keen eye spotted that the wire leading into the breaker had frayed. He cut out the frayed…”–
- satisfaction guaranteed
- customer service guarantee
- "no surprises" guarantee
- no-nonsense parts & labor warranty See More +
Our AC Guarantees
- equipment size guarantee
- lifetime installation materials warranty
- AC "level for life" warranty
- the exclusive "no-lemon" guarantee See More +