Reducing Heat Sources Inside the Home During the Cooling Season
Even if a home has the most efficient central air conditioner available it could be costing more to operate than it should. The reason is that many of today’s well insulated homes are trapping heat and humidity from appliances and other sources.
While simple steps like closing blinds to block the sun, and running ceiling fans to circulate the air can make a big difference, there are many sources of heat and humidity inside the home that can reduce the overall efficiency of a cooling system. Here are some things to look for:
1. Incandescent bulbs. Because most of the energy from incandescent bulbs goes to generating heat rather than light, turning them off or using a dimmer will reduce heat significantly. A cooler lighting option is to install CFL or LED light bulbs, which convert more of their energy into light, thereby operating much cooler.
2. Install the thermostat away from windows and heat sources like lamps and TVs.
3. During hot weather, use an outside grill or cook with a microwave instead of the oven or range.
4. Ensure that your clothes dryer and bathroom exhaust fans are venting outside and not into the attic.
5. Dry clothes outside. Dryers not only generate heat, but also humidity.
6. Skip the heat dry cycle on your dishwasher. The drying cycle of a dishwasher generates a lot of warm, humid air.
7. Use a water heater blanket to reduce heat loss and make your water heater operate more efficiently.
8. Turn off the gas supply to fireplaces and heaters. Pilot lights generate heat and waste natural gas.
Have questions about keeping your home cool? Call ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric, we’re here to help.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Tom was awesome! He is very personable and explains the whole process well. He did a great job and ensured that he used 5-star service throughout the process. I will definitely use ABC and Tom again in the future for electrical work.”–
“Bill showed up on time to repair our broken air conditioner. ABC kept in touch throughout the day to let me know time he would be arriving too. Bill was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We wound up signing up for monthly care package because Bill and ABC really made…”–
“We were very pleased with the service performed by Brett Pack in performing the annual maintenance of our air conditioning unit. He noted it was low on refrigerant, which he then added after consulting with us. He also made sure we took advantage of all available discounts.”–
“Tom did a super job fixing our electrical problem. He is one of the best electricians I have ever had in my home for repair work. I would highly recommend Tom and ABC Company if you need any type of electrical work. He took his time and explained everything and…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Our AC was not working in the 90-degree summer heat. Josh identified that power was not going to the furnace blower. He identified that power was not going to the furnace breaker. His keen eye spotted that the wire leading into the breaker had frayed. He cut out the frayed…”–