Reducing Heat Sources Inside the Home During the Cooling Season
Even if a home has the most efficient central air conditioner available it could be costing more to operate than it should. The reason is that many of today’s well insulated homes are trapping heat and humidity from appliances and other sources.
While simple steps like closing blinds to block the sun, and running ceiling fans to circulate the air can make a big difference, there are many sources of heat and humidity inside the home that can reduce the overall efficiency of a cooling system. Here are some things to look for:
1. Incandescent bulbs. Because most of the energy from incandescent bulbs goes to generating heat rather than light, turning them off or using a dimmer will reduce heat significantly. A cooler lighting option is to install CFL or LED light bulbs, which convert more of their energy into light, thereby operating much cooler.
2. Install the thermostat away from windows and heat sources like lamps and TVs.
3. During hot weather, use an outside grill or cook with a microwave instead of the oven or range.
4. Ensure that your clothes dryer and bathroom exhaust fans are venting outside and not into the attic.
5. Dry clothes outside. Dryers not only generate heat, but also humidity.
6. Skip the heat dry cycle on your dishwasher. The drying cycle of a dishwasher generates a lot of warm, humid air.
7. Use a water heater blanket to reduce heat loss and make your water heater operate more efficiently.
8. Turn off the gas supply to fireplaces and heaters. Pilot lights generate heat and waste natural gas.
Have questions about keeping your home cool? Call ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric, we’re here to help.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Jonathan Henrich was very professional and provided expertise background information to my questions when replacing my sump pump and battery backup system. He was obviously knowledgeable about what he was doing and took pride in doing a great job. While the price was more than I expected, the work was…”–
“My experience with ABC was wonderful. The electrician, Bryan, who we worked with was fantastic. I would recommend this company to everyone! Very dependable, professional and friendly.”–
“I recently bought a home. For the first 6 months here I have been experiencing some electric issues. So, just two day ago - I had another shortage. Ryan came out and explained the issues. Im in sales, and he did not try to pressure me into doing the right…”–
“Anthony was my HVAC technician and I could not have had a better experience. He was professional and knowledgeable. He explained everything. I cannot tell you how nice it is to have someone like that to count on for my heating and air conditioning. Great Job Anthony”–
“Your fast, professional handling of the issue was remarkable in today’s business environment. No hassle and solid craftsmanship along with a knowledgeable technician, forces me to call you the next time I require plumbing assistance and makes ABC an easy referral to friends and neighbors. Thank you for your integrity.…”–
“I had a very positive experience with ABC…They even brought over space heaters for us and discounted the price the cost of a replacement part I had purchased two weeks prior. Great customer service.”–