Reducing Heat Sources Inside the Home During the Cooling Season
Even if a home has the most efficient central air conditioner available it could be costing more to operate than it should. The reason is that many of today’s well insulated homes are trapping heat and humidity from appliances and other sources.
While simple steps like closing blinds to block the sun, and running ceiling fans to circulate the air can make a big difference, there are many sources of heat and humidity inside the home that can reduce the overall efficiency of a cooling system. Here are some things to look for:
1. Incandescent bulbs. Because most of the energy from incandescent bulbs goes to generating heat rather than light, turning them off or using a dimmer will reduce heat significantly. A cooler lighting option is to install CFL or LED light bulbs, which convert more of their energy into light, thereby operating much cooler.
2. Install the thermostat away from windows and heat sources like lamps and TVs.
3. During hot weather, use an outside grill or cook with a microwave instead of the oven or range.
4. Ensure that your clothes dryer and bathroom exhaust fans are venting outside and not into the attic.
5. Dry clothes outside. Dryers not only generate heat, but also humidity.
6. Skip the heat dry cycle on your dishwasher. The drying cycle of a dishwasher generates a lot of warm, humid air.
7. Use a water heater blanket to reduce heat loss and make your water heater operate more efficiently.
8. Turn off the gas supply to fireplaces and heaters. Pilot lights generate heat and waste natural gas.
Have questions about keeping your home cool? Call ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric, we’re here to help.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Keith and his crew were top notch. Calm/cool, trustworthy, efficient, respectful, reliable, thorough, communicative and reassuring. And at the end of the day, quality work! For the bigger projects, I feel confident knowing we have a go-to service to call.”–
“ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric are fantastic. I recently used them to replace my sump pump, which had exploded! They were very friendly on the phone and Rick H., our technician was fantastic. He explained things thoroughly, we was efficient and very nice. Will definitely be using him and…”–
“On only a day's notice, Adam came very prepared. He knew immediately what was the issue in each case. He replaced one toilet and repaired another. The bathrooms were left in great order and very clean. I am looking forward to having more work done by Adam and ABC.”–
“ABC was reliable and professional. Mike G was our technician and was a pleasure to work with. Down to earth, no pressure and gave you a straight answer to what you needed. Felt like I got an honest appraisal and was given a great quote. Will be calling them back…”–
“You never know for sure what you'll get when you need a contractor in a pinch. I chose ABC Plumbing out of my 2017 Best Picks Report for contractors because ABC was their top choice. After working them, I will use them again and tell everyone who needs this kind…”–
“EXCELLENT and FAST service provided by ABC plumbing and superb work at our home provided by Tom Glaza. He fielded, diagnosed and fixed all electrical issues. Tom is knowledgeable, friendly, efficient and explains everything in detail to customer so you know what he is fixing and gives accurate up front…”–