Is Your Home Ready For The Cooling Season? Here Are Some Things To Check
With warm weather fast approaching in the Chicagoland area, this is the time to ensure your air conditioner is prepared for the hot summer months ahead. Proper cooling system maintenance, along with a few simple steps to keep your home cool, will ensure that your air conditioning operates at peak efficiency keeping your utility bill in check and limiting the chance of unexpected breakdowns and repairs.
1. Call ABC to schedule an annual AC inspection and tune-up. Your technician will perform a comprehensive inspection to find any potential problems that could lead to a breakdown. A dirty, unmaintained can cost you hundreds of extra dollars in extra energy costs each season, while also shortening the lifespan of the unit, so a tune-up is cheap insurance.
2. Change your furnace filter at least once a month. Clean filters enable your HVAC system to operate more efficiently, causing less wear on the motors and parts. It will also keep the air in your home cleaner and healthier.
3. Inspect your air ducts to ensure there are no leaks. Gaps in air ducts should be sealed with duct tape.
4. Replace or install weather stripping around doors, windows and baseboards. Cracked or worn weather stripping allows cool air to escape.
5. Make sure that your home is well insulated. Fiberglass insulation is the easiest to install and the most effective. Insulation with an R factor between 30 and 49 is effective and can save up to 10 percent in energy costs.
6. Manage the temperature with a programmable theremostat. Keep the temperature cool at night and warmer during the day when you’re away from home. Programmable thermostats are an affordable way to control indoor temperatures for optimal comfort and efficiency.
7. Block out direct sun with drapes and window shades.
8. Use ceiling fans to help circulate cool air throughout the house.
9. Plan hot work for cooler morning and evening hours. Basic household functions such as washing, drying and ironing clothes, baking and cooking all make it harder for the cooling system to do its job.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Keith and his crew were top notch. Calm/cool, trustworthy, efficient, respectful, reliable, thorough, communicative and reassuring. And at the end of the day, quality work! For the bigger projects, I feel confident knowing we have a go-to service to call.”–
“ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric are fantastic. I recently used them to replace my sump pump, which had exploded! They were very friendly on the phone and Rick H., our technician was fantastic. He explained things thoroughly, we was efficient and very nice. Will definitely be using him and…”–
“On only a day's notice, Adam came very prepared. He knew immediately what was the issue in each case. He replaced one toilet and repaired another. The bathrooms were left in great order and very clean. I am looking forward to having more work done by Adam and ABC.”–
“ABC was reliable and professional. Mike G was our technician and was a pleasure to work with. Down to earth, no pressure and gave you a straight answer to what you needed. Felt like I got an honest appraisal and was given a great quote. Will be calling them back…”–
“You never know for sure what you'll get when you need a contractor in a pinch. I chose ABC Plumbing out of my 2017 Best Picks Report for contractors because ABC was their top choice. After working them, I will use them again and tell everyone who needs this kind…”–
“EXCELLENT and FAST service provided by ABC plumbing and superb work at our home provided by Tom Glaza. He fielded, diagnosed and fixed all electrical issues. Tom is knowledgeable, friendly, efficient and explains everything in detail to customer so you know what he is fixing and gives accurate up front…”–