Are You Heating Your Home in the Summer?
During the hot, humid summer months it’s important to take steps to help your air conditioner work as efficiently as possible. Some of these steps are obvious, such as closing blinds to block the sun, running ceiling fans to circulate the cool air, and keeping windows as doors closed. However, a lot of the heat and humidity is actually created inside the home, which can significantly increase your cooling costs.
Here are a few tips to help reduce the heat and humidity from within your home:
1. Turn off incandescent bulbs. Because most of the energy from incandescent bulbs goes to generating heat rather than light (only 5%), turning them off when not needed will reduce the heat in rooms significantly. Better yet, consider switching to compact florescent (CFL) light bulbs, which convert more of their energy into light, thereby operating much cooler.
2. Keep lamps, TVs and other heat generating appliances away from the thermostat.
3. Cook outside with a grill or use your microwave instead of the oven or range.
4. Make sure your dryer and bathroom exhaust ducts are venting outside and not into your attic.
5. Line dry clothes outside. Dryers generate not just heat, but a lot of humidity.
6. Air dry dishes in your dishwasher. The drying cycle of a dishwasher generates a lot of warm, humid air.
7. Use a water heater blanket. This will not only reduce heat in the home but will make your water heater operate more efficiently.
8. Turn off the gas supply to fireplaces and heaters. The piot light creates heat and wastes gas.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Keith and his crew were top notch. Calm/cool, trustworthy, efficient, respectful, reliable, thorough, communicative and reassuring. And at the end of the day, quality work! For the bigger projects, I feel confident knowing we have a go-to service to call.”–
“ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric are fantastic. I recently used them to replace my sump pump, which had exploded! They were very friendly on the phone and Rick H., our technician was fantastic. He explained things thoroughly, we was efficient and very nice. Will definitely be using him and…”–
“On only a day's notice, Adam came very prepared. He knew immediately what was the issue in each case. He replaced one toilet and repaired another. The bathrooms were left in great order and very clean. I am looking forward to having more work done by Adam and ABC.”–
“ABC was reliable and professional. Mike G was our technician and was a pleasure to work with. Down to earth, no pressure and gave you a straight answer to what you needed. Felt like I got an honest appraisal and was given a great quote. Will be calling them back…”–
“You never know for sure what you'll get when you need a contractor in a pinch. I chose ABC Plumbing out of my 2017 Best Picks Report for contractors because ABC was their top choice. After working them, I will use them again and tell everyone who needs this kind…”–
“EXCELLENT and FAST service provided by ABC plumbing and superb work at our home provided by Tom Glaza. He fielded, diagnosed and fixed all electrical issues. Tom is knowledgeable, friendly, efficient and explains everything in detail to customer so you know what he is fixing and gives accurate up front…”–