What To Do During a Winter Power Outage
While power outages are more common during the summer months when electrical storms are more frequent and the power grid is under stress from hot weather, power outages during the cold winter months present a different kind of risk for homeowners.
Preparing for a winter power outage
- Check flashlights and portable devices like radios and cell phones to ensure that they are working and fully charged.
- Have a home emergency kit with food, water and other critical supplies.
- Keep extra batteries in a safe place or have a solar-powered or hand crank charger available.
- If a winter storm is coming that may cause a power outage fill your bathtub and spare containers of water. This water can be used to replenish the toilet bowl.
- Know where the manual release lever of your electric garage door opener is located.
- Consider installing a standby power generator to provide power during an outage.
What to do during a winter power outage
- Let faucets drip a little to relieve pressure and avoid freezing pipes.
- Use your car charger to keep your cell phone charged.
- Never use outdoor cooking appliances or heaters indoors. They can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Use flashlights or other battery-powered lights if possible, instead of candles. If you do use candles, never leave them burning unattended.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Keith and his crew were top notch. Calm/cool, trustworthy, efficient, respectful, reliable, thorough, communicative and reassuring. And at the end of the day, quality work! For the bigger projects, I feel confident knowing we have a go-to service to call.”–
“ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric are fantastic. I recently used them to replace my sump pump, which had exploded! They were very friendly on the phone and Rick H., our technician was fantastic. He explained things thoroughly, we was efficient and very nice. Will definitely be using him and…”–
“On only a day's notice, Adam came very prepared. He knew immediately what was the issue in each case. He replaced one toilet and repaired another. The bathrooms were left in great order and very clean. I am looking forward to having more work done by Adam and ABC.”–
“ABC was reliable and professional. Mike G was our technician and was a pleasure to work with. Down to earth, no pressure and gave you a straight answer to what you needed. Felt like I got an honest appraisal and was given a great quote. Will be calling them back…”–
“You never know for sure what you'll get when you need a contractor in a pinch. I chose ABC Plumbing out of my 2017 Best Picks Report for contractors because ABC was their top choice. After working them, I will use them again and tell everyone who needs this kind…”–
“EXCELLENT and FAST service provided by ABC plumbing and superb work at our home provided by Tom Glaza. He fielded, diagnosed and fixed all electrical issues. Tom is knowledgeable, friendly, efficient and explains everything in detail to customer so you know what he is fixing and gives accurate up front…”–