What To Do During a Winter Power Outage
While power outages are more common during the summer months when electrical storms are more frequent and the power grid is under stress from hot weather, power outages during the cold winter months present a different kind of risk for homeowners.
Preparing for a winter power outage
- Check flashlights and portable devices like radios and cell phones to ensure that they are working and fully charged.
- Have a home emergency kit with food, water and other critical supplies.
- Keep extra batteries in a safe place or have a solar-powered or hand crank charger available.
- If a winter storm is coming that may cause a power outage fill your bathtub and spare containers of water. This water can be used to replenish the toilet bowl.
- Know where the manual release lever of your electric garage door opener is located.
- Consider installing a standby power generator to provide power during an outage.
What to do during a winter power outage
- Let faucets drip a little to relieve pressure and avoid freezing pipes.
- Use your car charger to keep your cell phone charged.
- Never use outdoor cooking appliances or heaters indoors. They can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Use flashlights or other battery-powered lights if possible, instead of candles. If you do use candles, never leave them burning unattended.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Have never had such an excellent technician to evaluate our furnace problem. If he hadn't been so thorough, it possibly could have resulted in a carbon monoxide disaster. A true professional!”–
“After a long day on a Friday (first snow of the year - lots of customers without heat), Dion L came to perform routine furnace inspection and filter change. Dion was courteous, efficient, informed us of all that he was doing, showed us an area of concern and how we…”–
“Ron S., fixed an electrical short in the attic, which prevented a fire. He rewired the attic thru the bedroom ceiling light. He replaced an outside electrical connection, and repaired my ceiling fan. The attic wiring was very crazy. He did an outstanding job figuring it out and fixing the…”–
“I called other before I call ABC and was giving long wait and schedule time to come out and check the heating system. So I received a message on the web about ABC Plumbing and Heating. So I called the company right away and they said what time would you…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Paul B. serviced my furnace yesterday with an inspection and cleaning. He didn't stop there though, I had purchased a new filter for my humidifier on the furnace and he replaced that for me, showed me how to do it in the future and explained how to adjust the humidity…”–