What To Do During a Winter Power Outage
While power outages are more common during the summer months when electrical storms are more frequent and the power grid is under stress from hot weather, power outages during the cold winter months present a different kind of risk for homeowners.
Preparing for a winter power outage
- Check flashlights and portable devices like radios and cell phones to ensure that they are working and fully charged.
- Have a home emergency kit with food, water and other critical supplies.
- Keep extra batteries in a safe place or have a solar-powered or hand crank charger available.
- If a winter storm is coming that may cause a power outage fill your bathtub and spare containers of water. This water can be used to replenish the toilet bowl.
- Know where the manual release lever of your electric garage door opener is located.
- Consider installing a standby power generator to provide power during an outage.
What to do during a winter power outage
- Let faucets drip a little to relieve pressure and avoid freezing pipes.
- Use your car charger to keep your cell phone charged.
- Never use outdoor cooking appliances or heaters indoors. They can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Use flashlights or other battery-powered lights if possible, instead of candles. If you do use candles, never leave them burning unattended.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Tom was awesome! He is very personable and explains the whole process well. He did a great job and ensured that he used 5-star service throughout the process. I will definitely use ABC and Tom again in the future for electrical work.”–
“Bill showed up on time to repair our broken air conditioner. ABC kept in touch throughout the day to let me know time he would be arriving too. Bill was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We wound up signing up for monthly care package because Bill and ABC really made…”–
“We were very pleased with the service performed by Brett Pack in performing the annual maintenance of our air conditioning unit. He noted it was low on refrigerant, which he then added after consulting with us. He also made sure we took advantage of all available discounts.”–
“Tom did a super job fixing our electrical problem. He is one of the best electricians I have ever had in my home for repair work. I would highly recommend Tom and ABC Company if you need any type of electrical work. He took his time and explained everything and…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Our AC was not working in the 90-degree summer heat. Josh identified that power was not going to the furnace blower. He identified that power was not going to the furnace breaker. His keen eye spotted that the wire leading into the breaker had frayed. He cut out the frayed…”–