Water Heater Safety Tips
It’s that time of year again – when temperatures drop down below freezing and homeowners across the Chicagoland area give their home’s heating equipment a bit more thought than normal. We all know how nice a hot shower can be after long day out in the cold, but if you don’t pay any attention to your water heater this season, you could be in for a rude awakening.
- Flush your water heater at least once per year. Over time, sediment from the water builds up inside the tank which can clog valves and reduce efficiency.
- Test the Temperature-Pressure release valve to make sure it’s working properly. This valve is designed to open up in any instance of excessively high temperature or pressure inside the tank. If you’re not comfortable doing it yourself, your plumber will gladly take care of it for you.
- Avoid scalding by keeping your water heater set to 120ºF. Setting it higher can lead to burns as soon as the water from the taps in your home comes in contact with your skin. It is however, important not to set it lower than 120ºF as unhealthy bacteria can form and grow.
- Clear the area around the water heater of combustibles if you have a gas-fired model. This also includes dust, dirt, paper or anything else that could catch fire.
- Call the experts at ABC to replace your sacrificial anode. This is an extremely important maintenance step as the rod helps to protect the inside of your tank from corroding.
ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric recommends that you have one of our elite plumbers perform an annual water heater tune-up and safety inspection. These tune-ups help keep your water heater in top condition, running safely and efficiently and that if any issues are discovered they can be repaired before they become a major inconvenience. Call us today to schedule an appointment and don’t forget to connect with us on Facebook!
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Tom was awesome! He is very personable and explains the whole process well. He did a great job and ensured that he used 5-star service throughout the process. I will definitely use ABC and Tom again in the future for electrical work.”–
“Bill showed up on time to repair our broken air conditioner. ABC kept in touch throughout the day to let me know time he would be arriving too. Bill was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We wound up signing up for monthly care package because Bill and ABC really made…”–
“We were very pleased with the service performed by Brett Pack in performing the annual maintenance of our air conditioning unit. He noted it was low on refrigerant, which he then added after consulting with us. He also made sure we took advantage of all available discounts.”–
“Tom did a super job fixing our electrical problem. He is one of the best electricians I have ever had in my home for repair work. I would highly recommend Tom and ABC Company if you need any type of electrical work. He took his time and explained everything and…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Our AC was not working in the 90-degree summer heat. Josh identified that power was not going to the furnace blower. He identified that power was not going to the furnace breaker. His keen eye spotted that the wire leading into the breaker had frayed. He cut out the frayed…”–