Water Heater Safety Tips
It’s that time of year again – when temperatures drop down below freezing and homeowners across the Chicagoland area give their home’s heating equipment a bit more thought than normal. We all know how nice a hot shower can be after long day out in the cold, but if you don’t pay any attention to your water heater this season, you could be in for a rude awakening.
- Flush your water heater at least once per year. Over time, sediment from the water builds up inside the tank which can clog valves and reduce efficiency.
- Test the Temperature-Pressure release valve to make sure it’s working properly. This valve is designed to open up in any instance of excessively high temperature or pressure inside the tank. If you’re not comfortable doing it yourself, your plumber will gladly take care of it for you.
- Avoid scalding by keeping your water heater set to 120ºF. Setting it higher can lead to burns as soon as the water from the taps in your home comes in contact with your skin. It is however, important not to set it lower than 120ºF as unhealthy bacteria can form and grow.
- Clear the area around the water heater of combustibles if you have a gas-fired model. This also includes dust, dirt, paper or anything else that could catch fire.
- Call the experts at ABC to replace your sacrificial anode. This is an extremely important maintenance step as the rod helps to protect the inside of your tank from corroding.
ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling & Electric recommends that you have one of our elite plumbers perform an annual water heater tune-up and safety inspection. These tune-ups help keep your water heater in top condition, running safely and efficiently and that if any issues are discovered they can be repaired before they become a major inconvenience. Call us today to schedule an appointment and don’t forget to connect with us on Facebook!
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Have never had such an excellent technician to evaluate our furnace problem. If he hadn't been so thorough, it possibly could have resulted in a carbon monoxide disaster. A true professional!”–
“After a long day on a Friday (first snow of the year - lots of customers without heat), Dion L came to perform routine furnace inspection and filter change. Dion was courteous, efficient, informed us of all that he was doing, showed us an area of concern and how we…”–
“Ron S., fixed an electrical short in the attic, which prevented a fire. He rewired the attic thru the bedroom ceiling light. He replaced an outside electrical connection, and repaired my ceiling fan. The attic wiring was very crazy. He did an outstanding job figuring it out and fixing the…”–
“I called other before I call ABC and was giving long wait and schedule time to come out and check the heating system. So I received a message on the web about ABC Plumbing and Heating. So I called the company right away and they said what time would you…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Paul B. serviced my furnace yesterday with an inspection and cleaning. He didn't stop there though, I had purchased a new filter for my humidifier on the furnace and he replaced that for me, showed me how to do it in the future and explained how to adjust the humidity…”–