Tips To Keep Your Garbage Disposal Working Smoothly
By following a few simple guidelines, you can keep your kitchen sink disposal working smoothly and reliably for years.
Maintaining a Garbage Disposal
You can keep your disposal clean by adding a little dish soap to some cold water and letting the garbage disposal run for a few seconds after washing dishes. It’s also helpful to run your disposal regularly to keep the moving parts in good condition. An unused disposal can corrode from accumulate food waste.
Tips For Using a Garbage Disposal
- Always Run a full stream of cold water. This helps hold grease particles together so they can pass through the disposal more easily.
- Some hard foods are safe to put down the disposal. This includes small chicken and fish bones, egg shells, etc. These harder particles can help clean the inside of the disposal.
- Never fill the chamber with food and then turn on the disposal. Always run cold water and turn on the disposal before adding waste gradually to the disposal.
- Only food waste should be put down a disposal. Paper, metal and plastic can damage the unit.
- Never pour oil or grease down the drain. It will eventually build up and clog the drain.
- Grinding lemon peels can help reduce the odors inside the disposal.
When Your Garbage Disposal Jams
If an object has been dropped into the disposal and jammed, the unit should be unplugged to turn off the power. Once the object has been removed the unit can be plugged back into the power source. If it won’t turn on, most disposals have a reset button located on the bottom of the unit.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Have never had such an excellent technician to evaluate our furnace problem. If he hadn't been so thorough, it possibly could have resulted in a carbon monoxide disaster. A true professional!”–
“After a long day on a Friday (first snow of the year - lots of customers without heat), Dion L came to perform routine furnace inspection and filter change. Dion was courteous, efficient, informed us of all that he was doing, showed us an area of concern and how we…”–
“Ron S., fixed an electrical short in the attic, which prevented a fire. He rewired the attic thru the bedroom ceiling light. He replaced an outside electrical connection, and repaired my ceiling fan. The attic wiring was very crazy. He did an outstanding job figuring it out and fixing the…”–
“I called other before I call ABC and was giving long wait and schedule time to come out and check the heating system. So I received a message on the web about ABC Plumbing and Heating. So I called the company right away and they said what time would you…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Paul B. serviced my furnace yesterday with an inspection and cleaning. He didn't stop there though, I had purchased a new filter for my humidifier on the furnace and he replaced that for me, showed me how to do it in the future and explained how to adjust the humidity…”–