Tips To Keep Your Garbage Disposal Working Smoothly
By following a few simple guidelines, you can keep your kitchen sink disposal working smoothly and reliably for years.
Maintaining a Garbage Disposal
You can keep your disposal clean by adding a little dish soap to some cold water and letting the garbage disposal run for a few seconds after washing dishes. It’s also helpful to run your disposal regularly to keep the moving parts in good condition. An unused disposal can corrode from accumulate food waste.
Tips For Using a Garbage Disposal
- Always Run a full stream of cold water. This helps hold grease particles together so they can pass through the disposal more easily.
- Some hard foods are safe to put down the disposal. This includes small chicken and fish bones, egg shells, etc. These harder particles can help clean the inside of the disposal.
- Never fill the chamber with food and then turn on the disposal. Always run cold water and turn on the disposal before adding waste gradually to the disposal.
- Only food waste should be put down a disposal. Paper, metal and plastic can damage the unit.
- Never pour oil or grease down the drain. It will eventually build up and clog the drain.
- Grinding lemon peels can help reduce the odors inside the disposal.
When Your Garbage Disposal Jams
If an object has been dropped into the disposal and jammed, the unit should be unplugged to turn off the power. Once the object has been removed the unit can be plugged back into the power source. If it won’t turn on, most disposals have a reset button located on the bottom of the unit.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Jonathan Henrich was very professional and provided expertise background information to my questions when replacing my sump pump and battery backup system. He was obviously knowledgeable about what he was doing and took pride in doing a great job. While the price was more than I expected, the work was…”–
“My experience with ABC was wonderful. The electrician, Bryan, who we worked with was fantastic. I would recommend this company to everyone! Very dependable, professional and friendly.”–
“I recently bought a home. For the first 6 months here I have been experiencing some electric issues. So, just two day ago - I had another shortage. Ryan came out and explained the issues. Im in sales, and he did not try to pressure me into doing the right…”–
“Anthony was my HVAC technician and I could not have had a better experience. He was professional and knowledgeable. He explained everything. I cannot tell you how nice it is to have someone like that to count on for my heating and air conditioning. Great Job Anthony”–
“Your fast, professional handling of the issue was remarkable in today’s business environment. No hassle and solid craftsmanship along with a knowledgeable technician, forces me to call you the next time I require plumbing assistance and makes ABC an easy referral to friends and neighbors. Thank you for your integrity.…”–
“I had a very positive experience with ABC…They even brought over space heaters for us and discounted the price the cost of a replacement part I had purchased two weeks prior. Great customer service.”–