Tips To Keep Your Garbage Disposal Working Smoothly
A properly working garbage disposal is a wonderful appliance, disposing of all kinds of kitchen waste to saving time and keep smelly food waste out of the trash. A broken garbage disposal can be a real hassle, causing expensive plumbing and drain problems.
By following a few simple guidelines, you can keep your kitchen sink disposal working smoothly and reliably for years.
Maintaining a Garbage Disposal
You can keep your disposal clean by adding a little dish soap to some cold water and letting the garbage disposal run for a few seconds after washing dishes. It’s also helpful to run your disposal regularly to keep the moving parts in good condition. An unused disposal can corrode from accumulate food waste.
Tips For Using a Garbage Disposal
- Always Run a full stream of cold water. This helps hold grease particles together so they can pass through the disposal more easily.
- Some hard foods are safe to put down the disposal. This includes small chicken and fish bones, egg shells, etc. These harder particles can help clean the inside of the disposal.
- Never fill the chamber with food and then turn on the disposal. Always run cold water and turn on the disposal before adding waste gradually to the disposal.
- Only food waste should be put down a disposal. Paper, metal and plastic can damage the unit.
- Never pour oil or grease down the drain. It will eventually build up and clog the drain.
- Grinding lemon peels can help reduce the odors inside the disposal.
When Your Garbage Disposal Jams
If an object has been dropped into the disposal and jammed, the unit should be unplugged to turn off the power. Once the object has been removed the unit can be plugged back into the power source. If it won’t turn on, most disposals have a reset button located on the bottom of the unit.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Tom was awesome! He is very personable and explains the whole process well. He did a great job and ensured that he used 5-star service throughout the process. I will definitely use ABC and Tom again in the future for electrical work.”–
“Bill showed up on time to repair our broken air conditioner. ABC kept in touch throughout the day to let me know time he would be arriving too. Bill was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We wound up signing up for monthly care package because Bill and ABC really made…”–
“We were very pleased with the service performed by Brett Pack in performing the annual maintenance of our air conditioning unit. He noted it was low on refrigerant, which he then added after consulting with us. He also made sure we took advantage of all available discounts.”–
“Tom did a super job fixing our electrical problem. He is one of the best electricians I have ever had in my home for repair work. I would highly recommend Tom and ABC Company if you need any type of electrical work. He took his time and explained everything and…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Our AC was not working in the 90-degree summer heat. Josh identified that power was not going to the furnace blower. He identified that power was not going to the furnace breaker. His keen eye spotted that the wire leading into the breaker had frayed. He cut out the frayed…”–