The Advantages of LED Lighting in the Home
As conventional tungsten light bulbs are phased out over the next few years, homeowners are left with a choice of compact fluorescent (CFL) or LED lighting in the home. While both CFL and LED are considerably more efficient and longer lasting than tungsten bulbs, is one better than the other?
The Benefits of LED Lighting
LED stands for Light Emitting Diode and are made from a solid semiconductor material. They offer many advantages, including:
- Low Power Consumption
- Size – LEDs can be manufactured large or very small, depending on the application
- Unique Applications – LED can be used in variety of different places traditional bulbs cannot, even the inside of faucets and shower heads!
- Low Temperature – Because LEDs produce virtually no heat there is less risk of fire
- Stability – Being solid-state and not containing a filament, LEDs are highly resistant to shock and vibration damage
- Longevity – Perhaps the LEDs biggest advantage is its long lifespan, lasting as much as 6 times as long as CFL bulbs!
- Environmentally Friendly – Unlike CFLs, LEDs do not contain mercury
The Disadvantages of LED Lighting
The main disadvantage of LED lighting is cost. While LEDs have been around for decades, they have only become affordable enough to make them a viable alternative to CFLs in the home within the last year or two.
Another disadvantage of LED is that they emit a cooler, more blue-white colored light. This can color can be altered by using a colored lampshade or by attaching special color filters to specially designed lighting fixtures. There’s even an LED lightbulb with it’s own smartphone app for controlling the intensity and color of the light!
Have questions about lighting or other electrical systems in the home? Call ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric. We’re here to help.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Tom was awesome! He is very personable and explains the whole process well. He did a great job and ensured that he used 5-star service throughout the process. I will definitely use ABC and Tom again in the future for electrical work.”–
“Bill showed up on time to repair our broken air conditioner. ABC kept in touch throughout the day to let me know time he would be arriving too. Bill was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We wound up signing up for monthly care package because Bill and ABC really made…”–
“We were very pleased with the service performed by Brett Pack in performing the annual maintenance of our air conditioning unit. He noted it was low on refrigerant, which he then added after consulting with us. He also made sure we took advantage of all available discounts.”–
“Tom did a super job fixing our electrical problem. He is one of the best electricians I have ever had in my home for repair work. I would highly recommend Tom and ABC Company if you need any type of electrical work. He took his time and explained everything and…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Our AC was not working in the 90-degree summer heat. Josh identified that power was not going to the furnace blower. He identified that power was not going to the furnace breaker. His keen eye spotted that the wire leading into the breaker had frayed. He cut out the frayed…”–
- satisfaction guaranteed
- customer service guarantee
- "no surprises" guarantee
- no-nonsense parts & labor warranty See More +
Our AC Guarantees
- equipment size guarantee
- lifetime installation materials warranty
- AC "level for life" warranty
- the exclusive "no-lemon" guarantee See More +