Servicing the Chicagoland Area & Suburbs
Emergency 24/7 Service
Call Today! 888-868-6667
Call Today! 888-868-6667
Contact Us
  • 24/7

  • Give Us a Call Anytime!Emergency Service Available
  • 888-868-6667

The ABCs of Home Heating – AFUE Ratings

Posted on: February 19, 2015

When purchasing a new central furnace or boiler, it’s important to know how efficiently it can convert the energy from natural gas into heat. This is calculated by the annual fuel utilization efficiency, or AFUE. All new furnaces and boilers sold in the U.S. are required to display an AFUE rating so consumers can compare how efficient different models are during a typical heating season.

AFUE is a ratio of the annual heat produced by a furnace or boiler compared to its fuel consumption. So an AFUE of 90% means that 90% of the energy in the fuel is converted to heat while the remaining 10% is dissipated through the exhaust and other inefficiencies.

It’s important to understand that AFUE ratings do not account for all the heat lost though the home’s air duct system and other inefficiencies, which can be as much as 35% of total energy loss. For this reason, when upgrading your heating and cooling system you should have an HVAC technician check your home’s ventilation system to ensure it’s not reducing overall operating efficiency.

Have questions about furnace and boiler efficiency of other heating questions? Call ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric. We’re here to help.

Read What Your
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
  • “Jonathan Henrich was very professional and provided expertise background information to my questions when replacing my sump pump and battery backup system. He was obviously knowledgeable about what he was doing and took pride in doing a great job. While the price was more than I expected, the work was…”

  • “My experience with ABC was wonderful. The electrician, Bryan, who we worked with was fantastic. I would recommend this company to everyone! Very dependable, professional and friendly.”

  • “I recently bought a home. For the first 6 months here I have been experiencing some electric issues. So, just two day ago - I had another shortage. Ryan came out and explained the issues. Im in sales, and he did not try to pressure me into doing the right…”

  • “Anthony was my HVAC technician and I could not have had a better experience. He was professional and knowledgeable. He explained everything. I cannot tell you how nice it is to have someone like that to count on for my heating and air conditioning. Great Job Anthony”

  • “Your fast, professional handling of the issue was remarkable in today’s business environment. No hassle and solid craftsmanship along with a knowledgeable technician, forces me to call you the next time I require plumbing assistance and makes ABC an easy referral to friends and neighbors. Thank you for your integrity.…”

  • “I had a very positive experience with ABC…They even brought over space heaters for us and discounted the price the cost of a replacement part I had purchased two weeks prior. Great customer service.”

Read more
Powered by
Our Promises to You
  • Convenient for You!

    We work on your

    Schedule today
  • Background Checks!

    Drug test and back ground
    checks before hiring.

    Learn More
  • No Need for Stress!

    ABC worry-free guarantee
    at no cost.

    Get Started
  • No Surprises!

    Pricing by the job, not
    the hour.

    Contact Us