What is Electric Service Drop

Posted October 13, 2015

Power to your home enters either underground (when there are no power lines) or through a curved pipe called an electric service drop. It's called a drop because the power lines are higher than the home the feeder line is ""dropped"" down into a home. The curved pipe where the line enters the home is called a service head and mast. It's bent downward to prevent water from entering the pipe and getting to the service panel. As the wire enters the pipe it is looped around, this is called the drip loop. Water flowing down the service drop line is prevented from entering the house by the drip loop.

Looking for an electrician in Des Plaines, IL? Call ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric now. 

While many homeowners are comfortable handling some electrical jobs around the home such as replacing outlets and lights, any work from the electrical panel out to the service drop must be performed by a licensed electrician. Have questions about your home's electrical system? Call ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric. We're here to help.

Our Promises To You

  • Icon of a clock with the number 24

    Convenient For You

    We Work on Your Schedule

  • Icon of a ribbon with a checkmark in the middle

    Background Checks

    We do Drug Tests And
Background Checks Before Hiring

  • Icon of two hands shaking

    No Need For Stress

    Get ABCs Worry-Free Guarantee at No Cost

  • Icon of a shield with a hand giving a thumbs up

    No Surprises

    Pricing is By the Job, Not the Hour