The ABC’s of Plumbing – Toilet Fill Valve
The toilet fill valve a.k.a. “ballcocks” are the plumbing part that enable the toilet tank to drain, then refill after flushing. When it’s time to replace the ballcock, you will first need to know what kind you have. Here are the 5 main types of fill vavle:
1. Plunger / Piston Fill Valve – Plunger or piston style fill valves are one of the earliest designs. Made of cast brass it uses a bottom-fill water discharge tube. If you have this style of fill valve, you should replace it with a newer anti-siphon design that meets current plumbing codes.
2. Plastic Diaphragm Fill Valve – Diaphragm fill valves have also been around for a long time, but have anti-siphon design and are usually made of plastic.
3. Brass Diaphragm Fill Valve – Also has an anti-siphon design with brass construction.
4. Float Cup Fill Valve – A more up-to-date style of anti-siphon fill valve introduced in the 1950s is the float cup fill valve. Made of plastic, it has a floating O-shaped cup that moves up and down around the fill valve shaft. The floating cup is attached using a metal spring clipped to a metal actuating rod.
5. Floatless Type Fill Valve – Floatless fill valves are made of plastic and use a diaphragm pressure sensing design to adjust the water level in the toilet tank.
Need help replacing your toilet fill valve? Call ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric. We can help with all your home plumbing repairs.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Tom was awesome! He is very personable and explains the whole process well. He did a great job and ensured that he used 5-star service throughout the process. I will definitely use ABC and Tom again in the future for electrical work.”–
“Bill showed up on time to repair our broken air conditioner. ABC kept in touch throughout the day to let me know time he would be arriving too. Bill was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We wound up signing up for monthly care package because Bill and ABC really made…”–
“We were very pleased with the service performed by Brett Pack in performing the annual maintenance of our air conditioning unit. He noted it was low on refrigerant, which he then added after consulting with us. He also made sure we took advantage of all available discounts.”–
“Tom did a super job fixing our electrical problem. He is one of the best electricians I have ever had in my home for repair work. I would highly recommend Tom and ABC Company if you need any type of electrical work. He took his time and explained everything and…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Our AC was not working in the 90-degree summer heat. Josh identified that power was not going to the furnace blower. He identified that power was not going to the furnace breaker. His keen eye spotted that the wire leading into the breaker had frayed. He cut out the frayed…”–