The ABC’s of Plumbing – Toilet Fill Valve
The toilet fill valve a.k.a. “ballcocks” are the plumbing part that enable the toilet tank to drain, then refill after flushing. When it’s time to replace the ballcock, you will first need to know what kind you have. Here are the 5 main types of fill vavle:
1. Plunger / Piston Fill Valve – Plunger or piston style fill valves are one of the earliest designs. Made of cast brass it uses a bottom-fill water discharge tube. If you have this style of fill valve, you should replace it with a newer anti-siphon design that meets current plumbing codes.
2. Plastic Diaphragm Fill Valve – Diaphragm fill valves have also been around for a long time, but have anti-siphon design and are usually made of plastic.
3. Brass Diaphragm Fill Valve – Also has an anti-siphon design with brass construction.
4. Float Cup Fill Valve – A more up-to-date style of anti-siphon fill valve introduced in the 1950s is the float cup fill valve. Made of plastic, it has a floating O-shaped cup that moves up and down around the fill valve shaft. The floating cup is attached using a metal spring clipped to a metal actuating rod.
5. Floatless Type Fill Valve – Floatless fill valves are made of plastic and use a diaphragm pressure sensing design to adjust the water level in the toilet tank.
Need help replacing your toilet fill valve? Call ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric. We can help with all your home plumbing repairs.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Keith and his crew were top notch. Calm/cool, trustworthy, efficient, respectful, reliable, thorough, communicative and reassuring. And at the end of the day, quality work! For the bigger projects, I feel confident knowing we have a go-to service to call.”–
“ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric are fantastic. I recently used them to replace my sump pump, which had exploded! They were very friendly on the phone and Rick H., our technician was fantastic. He explained things thoroughly, we was efficient and very nice. Will definitely be using him and…”–
“On only a day's notice, Adam came very prepared. He knew immediately what was the issue in each case. He replaced one toilet and repaired another. The bathrooms were left in great order and very clean. I am looking forward to having more work done by Adam and ABC.”–
“ABC was reliable and professional. Mike G was our technician and was a pleasure to work with. Down to earth, no pressure and gave you a straight answer to what you needed. Felt like I got an honest appraisal and was given a great quote. Will be calling them back…”–
“You never know for sure what you'll get when you need a contractor in a pinch. I chose ABC Plumbing out of my 2017 Best Picks Report for contractors because ABC was their top choice. After working them, I will use them again and tell everyone who needs this kind…”–
“EXCELLENT and FAST service provided by ABC plumbing and superb work at our home provided by Tom Glaza. He fielded, diagnosed and fixed all electrical issues. Tom is knowledgeable, friendly, efficient and explains everything in detail to customer so you know what he is fixing and gives accurate up front…”–