The 7 Most Common Causes of Electrical Fires In The Home
There are nearly 30,000 electrical fires in the U.S. per year causing an estimated $1.1 billion in property damage and over 300 deaths.
The winter months are the most common time of year for electrical fires. Most of these fires are cause by electric heaters.
Other fires occur because of defects in wiring or appliance failure, and many happen because of overloaded electrical outlets or extension cords.
Here are the 5 most common causes of electrical fires in the home:
1. Faulty electrical outlets and aging appliances. This can include faults in appliance cords, receptacles and switches. If an appliance has a worn or frayed cord it can generate dangerous levels of heat, igniting surfaces like rugs and curtains, starting a fire.
2. Using ungrounded plugs. Appliances have the a third prong so they can be only used in outlets designed to handle the demands of higher wattage appliances. Never circumvent the ground on an appliance or power cord.
3. Overloading light fixtures. Installing a high wattage bulb into a lamps or light fixtures that it is not designed for is a leading cause of electrical fires. Always install a bulb that is within the recommended wattage.
4. Placing flammable material near light fixtures. Placing cloth or paper over a lampshade can cause the material heat up and ignite, causing a fire.
5. Extension cord misuse. Large appliances should not be plugged into an extension cord. If you do not have a nearby outlet for your appliances, you should have one installed.
6. Space heaters. Placing electric heater too close to combustible surfaces such as curtains, bedding and furniture is a leading cause of house fires. Coil space heaters should be avoided if possible. Liquid filled “soft heat” electric heaters are safest.
7. Old wiring. If your home is over twenty years old, it may not have the capacity to handle today’s energy intensive homes. In addition, outdated breaker boxes often have worn connectors that do not work, causing the system to overload.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Have never had such an excellent technician to evaluate our furnace problem. If he hadn't been so thorough, it possibly could have resulted in a carbon monoxide disaster. A true professional!”–
“After a long day on a Friday (first snow of the year - lots of customers without heat), Dion L came to perform routine furnace inspection and filter change. Dion was courteous, efficient, informed us of all that he was doing, showed us an area of concern and how we…”–
“Ron S., fixed an electrical short in the attic, which prevented a fire. He rewired the attic thru the bedroom ceiling light. He replaced an outside electrical connection, and repaired my ceiling fan. The attic wiring was very crazy. He did an outstanding job figuring it out and fixing the…”–
“I called other before I call ABC and was giving long wait and schedule time to come out and check the heating system. So I received a message on the web about ABC Plumbing and Heating. So I called the company right away and they said what time would you…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Paul B. serviced my furnace yesterday with an inspection and cleaning. He didn't stop there though, I had purchased a new filter for my humidifier on the furnace and he replaced that for me, showed me how to do it in the future and explained how to adjust the humidity…”–