The 7 Most Common Causes of Electrical Fires In The Home
There are nearly 30,000 electrical fires in the U.S. per year causing an estimated $1.1 billion in property damage and over 300 deaths.
The winter months are the most common time of year for electrical fires. Most of these fires are cause by electric heaters.
Other fires occur because of defects in wiring or appliance failure, and many happen because of overloaded electrical outlets or extension cords.
Here are the 5 most common causes of electrical fires in the home:
1. Faulty electrical outlets and aging appliances. This can include faults in appliance cords, receptacles and switches. If an appliance has a worn or frayed cord it can generate dangerous levels of heat, igniting surfaces like rugs and curtains, starting a fire.
2. Using ungrounded plugs. Appliances have the a third prong so they can be only used in outlets designed to handle the demands of higher wattage appliances. Never circumvent the ground on an appliance or power cord.
3. Overloading light fixtures. Installing a high wattage bulb into a lamps or light fixtures that it is not designed for is a leading cause of electrical fires. Always install a bulb that is within the recommended wattage.
4. Placing flammable material near light fixtures. Placing cloth or paper over a lampshade can cause the material heat up and ignite, causing a fire.
5. Extension cord misuse. Large appliances should not be plugged into an extension cord. If you do not have a nearby outlet for your appliances, you should have one installed.
6. Space heaters. Placing electric heater too close to combustible surfaces such as curtains, bedding and furniture is a leading cause of house fires. Coil space heaters should be avoided if possible. Liquid filled “soft heat” electric heaters are safest.
7. Old wiring. If your home is over twenty years old, it may not have the capacity to handle today’s energy intensive homes. In addition, outdated breaker boxes often have worn connectors that do not work, causing the system to overload.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Tom was awesome! He is very personable and explains the whole process well. He did a great job and ensured that he used 5-star service throughout the process. I will definitely use ABC and Tom again in the future for electrical work.”–
“Bill showed up on time to repair our broken air conditioner. ABC kept in touch throughout the day to let me know time he would be arriving too. Bill was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We wound up signing up for monthly care package because Bill and ABC really made…”–
“We were very pleased with the service performed by Brett Pack in performing the annual maintenance of our air conditioning unit. He noted it was low on refrigerant, which he then added after consulting with us. He also made sure we took advantage of all available discounts.”–
“Tom did a super job fixing our electrical problem. He is one of the best electricians I have ever had in my home for repair work. I would highly recommend Tom and ABC Company if you need any type of electrical work. He took his time and explained everything and…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Our AC was not working in the 90-degree summer heat. Josh identified that power was not going to the furnace blower. He identified that power was not going to the furnace breaker. His keen eye spotted that the wire leading into the breaker had frayed. He cut out the frayed…”–