Summer Electrical Safety Tips
During the warm summer days we’ll be spending more time outdoors around the house. To stay safe, it’s important to be aware of some common electrical hazards.
1. Keep power tools and yourself at least 10 feet away from power lines. Remember that electricity can jump to nearby objects.
2. Before digging call your local utility company or the national 811 number to learn the location of buried underground power lines and other utilities.
3. Check that all outside outlets have ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) to automatically turn off the power if a plugged in item comes in contact with water.
4. Never use a gas powered portable power generator indoors or near doors or windows where fumes could enter the house.
5. Make sure your backup generator is properly grounded.
6. Extension cords should only be used for temporary and short-term power.
7. Make sure extension cords used outside are label “For Outdoor Use”.
8. Protect all outdoor outlets with weatherproof covers.
Have questions about your home’s electrical system? Call ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric, we’re here to help.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Tom was awesome! He is very personable and explains the whole process well. He did a great job and ensured that he used 5-star service throughout the process. I will definitely use ABC and Tom again in the future for electrical work.”–
“Bill showed up on time to repair our broken air conditioner. ABC kept in touch throughout the day to let me know time he would be arriving too. Bill was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We wound up signing up for monthly care package because Bill and ABC really made…”–
“We were very pleased with the service performed by Brett Pack in performing the annual maintenance of our air conditioning unit. He noted it was low on refrigerant, which he then added after consulting with us. He also made sure we took advantage of all available discounts.”–
“Tom did a super job fixing our electrical problem. He is one of the best electricians I have ever had in my home for repair work. I would highly recommend Tom and ABC Company if you need any type of electrical work. He took his time and explained everything and…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Our AC was not working in the 90-degree summer heat. Josh identified that power was not going to the furnace blower. He identified that power was not going to the furnace breaker. His keen eye spotted that the wire leading into the breaker had frayed. He cut out the frayed…”–