Strike Out Fires This Holiday Season
The winter holiday season is supposed to be a relaxing time spent with close friends and family members, eating, laughing and sharing love. But that can easily change if something inside your home catches fire. It’s vital to follow the simple tips below to ensure a happy and safe holiday season:
Keep these tips in mind while decorating:
- Keep your Christmas tree at least 3 feet away from all sources of heat. This includes the fireplace, radiators and heat vents.
- Choose ones that are flame resistant and that don’t produce lots of heat. Stick to LEDs when it comes to lights.
- Be careful with candles. Keep them away from decorations and other things that can easily catch fire such as window treatments, carpets and loose clothing.
- Never use outdoor lights indoors and vice versa. They are rated for use inside or out for specific reasons so be sure to purchase the right ones for the job.
- Avoid using nails or staples to hang lights. Clips are a safer alternative because there’s less of a chance of damaging the cords.
Keep these tips in mind while entertaining:
- Be sure to test smoke alarms before your guests arrive.
- Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
- Never leave the kitchen while cooking on the stove. If you must step away, have somebody keep an eye on whatever it is you’re cooking until you return.
- Ask smokers to do so outside – away from decorations.
Need a professional plumber or HVAC technician this winter? One call makes it simple because it’s as easy as ABC! We’ve been serving the entire Chicagoland area for over 60 years, so you know you can count on us.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Have never had such an excellent technician to evaluate our furnace problem. If he hadn't been so thorough, it possibly could have resulted in a carbon monoxide disaster. A true professional!”–
“After a long day on a Friday (first snow of the year - lots of customers without heat), Dion L came to perform routine furnace inspection and filter change. Dion was courteous, efficient, informed us of all that he was doing, showed us an area of concern and how we…”–
“Ron S., fixed an electrical short in the attic, which prevented a fire. He rewired the attic thru the bedroom ceiling light. He replaced an outside electrical connection, and repaired my ceiling fan. The attic wiring was very crazy. He did an outstanding job figuring it out and fixing the…”–
“I called other before I call ABC and was giving long wait and schedule time to come out and check the heating system. So I received a message on the web about ABC Plumbing and Heating. So I called the company right away and they said what time would you…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Paul B. serviced my furnace yesterday with an inspection and cleaning. He didn't stop there though, I had purchased a new filter for my humidifier on the furnace and he replaced that for me, showed me how to do it in the future and explained how to adjust the humidity…”–