Standby Generator Maintenance
If you have a standby whole house generator, it’s important to keep it properly maintained so it’s ready to turn on and operate reliably at a moment’s notice when the power to your home goes out. Here are some simple maintenance steps to perform this fall.
Important: Before performing any maintenance on your home generator always read the owner’s manual and ensure that you follow all safety instructions.
- Clean and tighten battery terminals. Have the voltage tested to ensure the battery is able to hold a sufficient charge.
- Clean the unit. Use a vacuum to clean the intake and exhaust louvers on the enclosure. Clear any vegetation or debris near the unit.
- Inspect the generator components for corrosion. Rust can be prevented by keeping your generator clear of moisture from downspouts, sprinklers, etc. If you find excessive corrosion, have ABC inspect the unit.
- Check the oil level to make sure it is full. If it needs to be refilled, refer to your manual for the correct type of oil. Keep a spare bottle of oil ready, in case of extended outages.
Have questions about maintaining your standby generator? Call ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric. We can help with all your home electrical needs.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Tom was awesome! He is very personable and explains the whole process well. He did a great job and ensured that he used 5-star service throughout the process. I will definitely use ABC and Tom again in the future for electrical work.”–
“Bill showed up on time to repair our broken air conditioner. ABC kept in touch throughout the day to let me know time he would be arriving too. Bill was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We wound up signing up for monthly care package because Bill and ABC really made…”–
“We were very pleased with the service performed by Brett Pack in performing the annual maintenance of our air conditioning unit. He noted it was low on refrigerant, which he then added after consulting with us. He also made sure we took advantage of all available discounts.”–
“Tom did a super job fixing our electrical problem. He is one of the best electricians I have ever had in my home for repair work. I would highly recommend Tom and ABC Company if you need any type of electrical work. He took his time and explained everything and…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Our AC was not working in the 90-degree summer heat. Josh identified that power was not going to the furnace blower. He identified that power was not going to the furnace breaker. His keen eye spotted that the wire leading into the breaker had frayed. He cut out the frayed…”–
- satisfaction guaranteed
- customer service guarantee
- "no surprises" guarantee
- no-nonsense parts & labor warranty See More +
Our AC Guarantees
- equipment size guarantee
- lifetime installation materials warranty
- AC "level for life" warranty
- the exclusive "no-lemon" guarantee See More +