Spring Maintenance Checklist
Well, spring still hasn’t quite settled in yet. But though we’re all certainly ready for warmer days, this extended period of chilly days and frigid nights does have some benefits. Namely, it gives us all some leeway in getting ready for spring properly. Looking for some ways to get your home and HVAC systems ready to take on a late spring (and what will be by some accounts a rough summer)?
The specialists at ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling & Electric are here to help you nail down how to get your Chicago home prepped and ready for warm weather!
Spring Cleaning Controls Allergies
We’ve covered the topic of fighting back against allergies rather recently in an in-depth post, but it’s worth hitting the high points here, too. Most find that controlling allergies has to do with keeping the most common areas of ingress under control, and for this we recommend setting up a shoes-off at the door policy as well as keeping screens in open windows. Be sure to mop and wet dust often (no sweeping!), and keep bedclothes laundered.
For added protection and the ultimate in control you can also learn a bit about a whole-home air filtration system, or if you suffer from mold allergies then a UV purifier or air scrubber may be the better choice.
Inspect Your Ducts (or Get Them Inspected)
Under maintained ducts are one of the biggest hotbeds of dust, pollen, mold, and other common allergens in any Chicago home. It’s best to schedule a cleaning at least every three years, but it’s worth inspecting the ducts annually to ensure nothing has accumulated. This is especially relevant in times like this, when your home has been closed off to fresh air for months and months at a time.
Get Your Home Exterior Ready for Sun & Rain
With such a long winter (and all of this last-minute snow) your home is probably coated in mess and road salt particles. We recommend pressure washing siding and concrete around the home—unless your siding is wood, in which case it’s sponges and rags for you!—and a thorough inspection of your foundation to find any cracks that might have cropped up.
You should also inspect all of the following:
- The roof. Check for any missing shingles, and if you spot any be sure to get in touch with a contractor for an inspection. What starts as a missing shingle often transforms into full-blown roof leaks!
- Windows. Pay particular attention to the flashing and seals, as well as the caulking. Replace any cracked or bent parts to improve the airtightness of your home and in order to prevent moisture intrusion.
- Your doors. Similar deal as the windows. You’ll want to check for all of the same seals, and also take a moment to check the hinges. Rust isn’t uncommon in this area, so you want to spot any early and remove it before it spreads.
Prep Your Cooling System
Once the house as a whole is in order it’s time to get your air conditioner ready to roll. It’s going to be your best friend come the hotter days, so ideally you want it operating at its peak before summer really starts to get its hooks in. Do these:
- Change the air filter to improve air flow and ensure good energy efficiency.
- Inspect the outdoor unit and clear away any dirt or plant matter. Realign any fins that may have bent up while you’re at it.
- Schedule your spring maintenance service! A professional tune-up is hands-down the best way to avoid mid-season breakdowns and minimize energy costs. The ideal way to start the season off on the right foot.
HVAC & Home Service Solutions with ABC
Looking for a team of experts to handle your AC maintenance needs in Chicago this year? Contact our trained and certified technicians today!
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Have never had such an excellent technician to evaluate our furnace problem. If he hadn't been so thorough, it possibly could have resulted in a carbon monoxide disaster. A true professional!”–
“After a long day on a Friday (first snow of the year - lots of customers without heat), Dion L came to perform routine furnace inspection and filter change. Dion was courteous, efficient, informed us of all that he was doing, showed us an area of concern and how we…”–
“Ron S., fixed an electrical short in the attic, which prevented a fire. He rewired the attic thru the bedroom ceiling light. He replaced an outside electrical connection, and repaired my ceiling fan. The attic wiring was very crazy. He did an outstanding job figuring it out and fixing the…”–
“I called other before I call ABC and was giving long wait and schedule time to come out and check the heating system. So I received a message on the web about ABC Plumbing and Heating. So I called the company right away and they said what time would you…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Paul B. serviced my furnace yesterday with an inspection and cleaning. He didn't stop there though, I had purchased a new filter for my humidifier on the furnace and he replaced that for me, showed me how to do it in the future and explained how to adjust the humidity…”–