Refrigerator Ice Maker Not Working? Here’s What to Check
If your ice maker has stopped making ice, here are some things to check:
- Check the Water Supply Line and Valve. The water supply line runs from the ice maker to a valve located behind the freezer, under the sink, or in the plumbing lines below refrigerator. Check that the valve is open enough to supply enough water. In most cases, it is recommended that the line be opened just enough to provide water pressure to fill the line. Check the line for pinches or kinks that could be obstructing flow.
- Check the shutoff arm. The arm should be in the down (on) position when making ice, and raised (in the off position) when the ice maker is filled.
- Check the Freezer Temperature. The freezer should be around 5 degrees (F) and the refrigerator around 36 degrees (F). The temperature controls can be found inside the freezer or refrigerator. To ensure the temperature is accurate, place a container of alcohol or cooking oil with a cooking thermometer inside the freezer and let it sit for about 2 hours. Because the oil or alcohol will not freeze, it will allow for an accurate measurement.
If none of the above items work, and you have confirmed that water is reaching the unit, it may a malfunction of one of the ice maker itself. Test the following parts for proper operation.
- Ejector gear
- Ejector motor
- Ice mold heater
- Holding switch
- Inlet Valve
Need plumbing help? Call ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Tom was awesome! He is very personable and explains the whole process well. He did a great job and ensured that he used 5-star service throughout the process. I will definitely use ABC and Tom again in the future for electrical work.”–
“Bill showed up on time to repair our broken air conditioner. ABC kept in touch throughout the day to let me know time he would be arriving too. Bill was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We wound up signing up for monthly care package because Bill and ABC really made…”–
“We were very pleased with the service performed by Brett Pack in performing the annual maintenance of our air conditioning unit. He noted it was low on refrigerant, which he then added after consulting with us. He also made sure we took advantage of all available discounts.”–
“Tom did a super job fixing our electrical problem. He is one of the best electricians I have ever had in my home for repair work. I would highly recommend Tom and ABC Company if you need any type of electrical work. He took his time and explained everything and…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Our AC was not working in the 90-degree summer heat. Josh identified that power was not going to the furnace blower. He identified that power was not going to the furnace breaker. His keen eye spotted that the wire leading into the breaker had frayed. He cut out the frayed…”–
- satisfaction guaranteed
- customer service guarantee
- "no surprises" guarantee
- no-nonsense parts & labor warranty See More +
Our AC Guarantees
- equipment size guarantee
- lifetime installation materials warranty
- AC "level for life" warranty
- the exclusive "no-lemon" guarantee See More +