Protecting Children From Electric Outlet Shock in the Home
According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) 2,400 children in the U.S. are treated for injuries caused by electrical outlets. To gauge the level of risk in the average home with small children, the ESFI conducted a survey of mothers with young children regarding the importance of Tamper Resistant Receptacles (TRRs), which have been required by the National Electrical Code since 2008 to prevent these injuries. The results show that much more education is needed.
- 44% of respondents are not familiar at all with TRRs
- 40% agree that plastic outlet caps could be removed by toddlers
- Nearly 1/3 of parents with young children do not have their outlets childproofed
- 86% of parents who childproof their outlets use plastic outlet caps
- Over 1/3 are unaware if their child’s daycare provider or school childproofs their electrical outlets
- 61% of respondents who have TRRs have them due to previous installation before they moved
You can read the full results of the survey here.
There are three main reasons TRRs preferred over other outlet protection devices such as caps or sliding outlet covers:
- Outlet caps can pose a choking hazard
- 100% of all 2-4 year olds were able to remove one type of plastic outlet cap within 10 seconds in a study by Temple University
- TRRs provide permanent security against the insertion of objects other than cord plugs into the energized slots.
Have questions about childproofing your home’s electrical system? Call ABC, we’re here to help.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Have never had such an excellent technician to evaluate our furnace problem. If he hadn't been so thorough, it possibly could have resulted in a carbon monoxide disaster. A true professional!”–
“After a long day on a Friday (first snow of the year - lots of customers without heat), Dion L came to perform routine furnace inspection and filter change. Dion was courteous, efficient, informed us of all that he was doing, showed us an area of concern and how we…”–
“Ron S., fixed an electrical short in the attic, which prevented a fire. He rewired the attic thru the bedroom ceiling light. He replaced an outside electrical connection, and repaired my ceiling fan. The attic wiring was very crazy. He did an outstanding job figuring it out and fixing the…”–
“I called other before I call ABC and was giving long wait and schedule time to come out and check the heating system. So I received a message on the web about ABC Plumbing and Heating. So I called the company right away and they said what time would you…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Paul B. serviced my furnace yesterday with an inspection and cleaning. He didn't stop there though, I had purchased a new filter for my humidifier on the furnace and he replaced that for me, showed me how to do it in the future and explained how to adjust the humidity…”–