Protecting Children From Electric Outlet Shock in the Home
According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) 2,400 children in the U.S. are treated for injuries caused by electrical outlets. To gauge the level of risk in the average home with small children, the ESFI conducted a survey of mothers with young children regarding the importance of Tamper Resistant Receptacles (TRRs), which have been required by the National Electrical Code since 2008 to prevent these injuries. The results show that much more education is needed.
- 44% of respondents are not familiar at all with TRRs
- 40% agree that plastic outlet caps could be removed by toddlers
- Nearly 1/3 of parents with young children do not have their outlets childproofed
- 86% of parents who childproof their outlets use plastic outlet caps
- Over 1/3 are unaware if their child’s daycare provider or school childproofs their electrical outlets
- 61% of respondents who have TRRs have them due to previous installation before they moved
You can read the full results of the survey here.
There are three main reasons TRRs preferred over other outlet protection devices such as caps or sliding outlet covers:
- Outlet caps can pose a choking hazard
- 100% of all 2-4 year olds were able to remove one type of plastic outlet cap within 10 seconds in a study by Temple University
- TRRs provide permanent security against the insertion of objects other than cord plugs into the energized slots.
Have questions about childproofing your home’s electrical system? Call ABC, we’re here to help.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Keith and his crew were top notch. Calm/cool, trustworthy, efficient, respectful, reliable, thorough, communicative and reassuring. And at the end of the day, quality work! For the bigger projects, I feel confident knowing we have a go-to service to call.”–
“ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric are fantastic. I recently used them to replace my sump pump, which had exploded! They were very friendly on the phone and Rick H., our technician was fantastic. He explained things thoroughly, we was efficient and very nice. Will definitely be using him and…”–
“On only a day's notice, Adam came very prepared. He knew immediately what was the issue in each case. He replaced one toilet and repaired another. The bathrooms were left in great order and very clean. I am looking forward to having more work done by Adam and ABC.”–
“ABC was reliable and professional. Mike G was our technician and was a pleasure to work with. Down to earth, no pressure and gave you a straight answer to what you needed. Felt like I got an honest appraisal and was given a great quote. Will be calling them back…”–
“You never know for sure what you'll get when you need a contractor in a pinch. I chose ABC Plumbing out of my 2017 Best Picks Report for contractors because ABC was their top choice. After working them, I will use them again and tell everyone who needs this kind…”–
“EXCELLENT and FAST service provided by ABC plumbing and superb work at our home provided by Tom Glaza. He fielded, diagnosed and fixed all electrical issues. Tom is knowledgeable, friendly, efficient and explains everything in detail to customer so you know what he is fixing and gives accurate up front…”–