Tamper Resistant Receptacles vs Caps and Sliding Outlet Covers
According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) 2,400 children in the U.S. are treated for injuries caused by electrical outlets. To gauge the level of risk in the average home with small children, the ESFI conducted a survey of mothers with young children regarding the importance of Tamper Resistant Receptacles (TRRs), which have been required by the National Electrical Code since 2008 to prevent these injuries. The results show that much more education is needed.
- 44% of respondents are not familiar at all with TRRs
- 40% agree that plastic outlet caps could be removed by toddlers
- Nearly 1/3 of parents with young children do not have their outlets childproofed
- 86% of parents who childproof their outlets use plastic outlet caps
- Over 1/3 are unaware if their child’s daycare provider or school childproofs their electrical outlets
- 61% of respondents who have TRRs have them due to previous installation before they moved
You can read the full results of the survey here.
There are three main reasons TRRs preferred over other outlet protection devices such as caps or sliding outlet covers:
- Outlet caps can pose a choking hazard
- 100% of all 2-4 year olds were able to remove one type of plastic outlet cap within 10 seconds in a study by Temple University
- TRRs provide permanent security against the insertion of objects other than cord plugs into the energized slots.
Have questions about childproofing your home’s electrical system? Call ABC, we’re here to help.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Tom was awesome! He is very personable and explains the whole process well. He did a great job and ensured that he used 5-star service throughout the process. I will definitely use ABC and Tom again in the future for electrical work.”–
“Bill showed up on time to repair our broken air conditioner. ABC kept in touch throughout the day to let me know time he would be arriving too. Bill was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We wound up signing up for monthly care package because Bill and ABC really made…”–
“We were very pleased with the service performed by Brett Pack in performing the annual maintenance of our air conditioning unit. He noted it was low on refrigerant, which he then added after consulting with us. He also made sure we took advantage of all available discounts.”–
“Tom did a super job fixing our electrical problem. He is one of the best electricians I have ever had in my home for repair work. I would highly recommend Tom and ABC Company if you need any type of electrical work. He took his time and explained everything and…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Our AC was not working in the 90-degree summer heat. Josh identified that power was not going to the furnace blower. He identified that power was not going to the furnace breaker. His keen eye spotted that the wire leading into the breaker had frayed. He cut out the frayed…”–
- satisfaction guaranteed
- customer service guarantee
- "no surprises" guarantee
- no-nonsense parts & labor warranty See More +
Our AC Guarantees
- equipment size guarantee
- lifetime installation materials warranty
- AC "level for life" warranty
- the exclusive "no-lemon" guarantee See More +