How to Reduce Standby Power Consumption – 5 Tips to Prevent “Vampire” Energy Loss
“Vampire” energy loss isn’t quite as scary as it sounds, but it could be costing you a significant money on your energy bill. When electronic devices are plugged in and turned off – even in “standby” or “sleep” mode – they are consuming significant amounts of electricity.
TVs, computers, video game consoles, coffee makers, clothes dryers and other appliances consume varying amounts of power when not in use. So how much energy is being wasted? By reviewing smart meter data in California researchers at the Natural Resources Defense Council were able to determine that devices that were plugged in but not in use were consuming energy all day long and accounting for as much as one quarter of a home’s power consumption.
The average cost of this vampire energy loss per household ranges from $165 to $440 per year. So what can you do to limit standby power loss in your home? Here are some suggestions:
1. Unplug devices when not in use.
2. Use power strips to turn off power to multiple devices.
3. Use a timers for devices that are only needed for a short time each day like hot water recirculation pumps, coffee machines and towel heaters.
4. Use energy saving settings when available. Set your computer to go to sleep after 20 minutes or less of inactivity. Turn off computers and video game consoles at night and turn off the power strip instead of using sleep mode.
5. Look for the ENERGY STAR rating when purchasing washers, dryers, TVs and other appliances. They are designed to minimize energy use when idle.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Tom was awesome! He is very personable and explains the whole process well. He did a great job and ensured that he used 5-star service throughout the process. I will definitely use ABC and Tom again in the future for electrical work.”–
“Bill showed up on time to repair our broken air conditioner. ABC kept in touch throughout the day to let me know time he would be arriving too. Bill was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We wound up signing up for monthly care package because Bill and ABC really made…”–
“We were very pleased with the service performed by Brett Pack in performing the annual maintenance of our air conditioning unit. He noted it was low on refrigerant, which he then added after consulting with us. He also made sure we took advantage of all available discounts.”–
“Tom did a super job fixing our electrical problem. He is one of the best electricians I have ever had in my home for repair work. I would highly recommend Tom and ABC Company if you need any type of electrical work. He took his time and explained everything and…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Our AC was not working in the 90-degree summer heat. Josh identified that power was not going to the furnace blower. He identified that power was not going to the furnace breaker. His keen eye spotted that the wire leading into the breaker had frayed. He cut out the frayed…”–
- satisfaction guaranteed
- customer service guarantee
- "no surprises" guarantee
- no-nonsense parts & labor warranty See More +
Our AC Guarantees
- equipment size guarantee
- lifetime installation materials warranty
- AC "level for life" warranty
- the exclusive "no-lemon" guarantee See More +