Preventing Electrical Fires In the Home
Every year fire departments in the U.S. respond to approximately 45,000 home structure fires involving electrical failure or malfunction. These fires result in hundreds of deaths and injuries and and $1.6 billion in property damage.
So how do you keep your home safe from the dangers of electrical fires? We’ve put together a list of warning signs that could indicate an electrical malfunction.
- Frequent problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers
- A tingling feeling when you touch an electrical appliance
- Discolored or warm wall outlets
- A burning or rubbery smell coming from an appliance
- Flickering or dimming lights
- Sparks from an outlet
Before electrical problems become a hazard we recommend following these safety steps in the home.
- Replace or repair damaged or loose electrical cords.
- Avoid running extension cords across doorways or under carpets.
- In homes with small children, make sure your home has tamper-resistant (TR) receptacles.
- Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.
- Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
- If outlets or switches feel warm, frequent problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuits, or flickering or dimming lights, call a qualified electrician.
- Place lamps on level surfaces, away from things that can burn and use bulbs that match the lamp’s recommended wattage.
- Make sure your home has ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) in the kitchen bathroom(s), laundry, basement, and outdoor areas.
- Arc-fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs) should be installed in your home to protect electrical outlets.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Keith and his crew were top notch. Calm/cool, trustworthy, efficient, respectful, reliable, thorough, communicative and reassuring. And at the end of the day, quality work! For the bigger projects, I feel confident knowing we have a go-to service to call.”–
“ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric are fantastic. I recently used them to replace my sump pump, which had exploded! They were very friendly on the phone and Rick H., our technician was fantastic. He explained things thoroughly, we was efficient and very nice. Will definitely be using him and…”–
“On only a day's notice, Adam came very prepared. He knew immediately what was the issue in each case. He replaced one toilet and repaired another. The bathrooms were left in great order and very clean. I am looking forward to having more work done by Adam and ABC.”–
“ABC was reliable and professional. Mike G was our technician and was a pleasure to work with. Down to earth, no pressure and gave you a straight answer to what you needed. Felt like I got an honest appraisal and was given a great quote. Will be calling them back…”–
“You never know for sure what you'll get when you need a contractor in a pinch. I chose ABC Plumbing out of my 2017 Best Picks Report for contractors because ABC was their top choice. After working them, I will use them again and tell everyone who needs this kind…”–
“EXCELLENT and FAST service provided by ABC plumbing and superb work at our home provided by Tom Glaza. He fielded, diagnosed and fixed all electrical issues. Tom is knowledgeable, friendly, efficient and explains everything in detail to customer so you know what he is fixing and gives accurate up front…”–