Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in the Home

Posted December 2, 2014

Each year thousands of people in the U.S. are sickened by carbon monoxide gas. Because the CO gas is colorless and odorless, it's important to take steps to prevent CO gas from accumulating in the home. Here are some steps to prevent CO gas in the home:

  • Never use gas or charcoal heaters or grills designed for outdoor use indoors
  • Ensure that your heating system is operating safely by having an annual cleaning and safety inspection performed.
  • Check appliances and vents for visible soot stains, blockage and corrosion. An improperly vented appliance such as a gas water heater or dryer can cause exhaust fumes to enter the home.
  • Never use a gas oven to heat your home

Carbon Monoxide Detectors

It's important that every level of your home has a CO detector installed. The detectors should be installed near bedrooms. When a CO detector detects an elevated level of dangerous gas, an alarm will go off, alerting you of potential danger.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Dull headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
If you experience these symptoms, do the following: Get out of the home. Seek emergency medical treatment immediately. Keep still to conserve oxygen in the blood.

Our Promises To You

  • Icon of a clock with the number 24

    Convenient For You

    We Work on Your Schedule

  • Icon of a ribbon with a checkmark in the middle

    Background Checks

    We do Drug Tests And
Background Checks Before Hiring

  • Icon of two hands shaking

    No Need For Stress

    Get ABCs Worry-Free Guarantee at No Cost

  • Icon of a shield with a hand giving a thumbs up

    No Surprises

    Pricing is By the Job, Not the Hour