5 Plumbing Mistakes to Avoid
Have the plumber on speed dial? While plumbing emergencies are usually unexpected and require the knowledge and professionalism of an expert technician, other minor plumbing problems can be avoided. Stay away from these five common mistakes that make homeowners reach for the phone.
1. Don’t Treat the Garbage Disposal like a Compactor: Be very careful of what you toss down your garbage disposal. They are more delicate than you might think and tossing stringy foods like potato peels, celery and pumpkin carvings can cause major damage.
2. Watch the Weight: Have a shampoo rack hanging from your shower head? Don’t put too many bottles of shampoo or bars of soap on there. Shower fixtures aren’t made to handle heavy weight, so place them on a shelf or on the floor instead.
3. Flush This, Not That: Toilets and their pipes are designed to handle human waste and toilet paper, not action figures, paper towels or cotton balls. Throw all other bathroom toiletries in the trash and remind your children to keep their toys away from the bowl.
4. Handle the Faucet with Care: Have a leaky faucet? Pulling or pushing really hard on the handle will not stop the water from dripping. It can leave you with a broken handle or worse, a broken faucet.
5. Take Pictures: Taking apart a plumbing fixture? Take pictures so you remember exactly what you took apart and which pieces go where. When it comes to kitchen faucets and shower heads, the pieces and clips are made to fit together a certain way.
Have a plumbing emergency? Contact ABC right away and we’ll get the problem solved fast!
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Keith and his crew were top notch. Calm/cool, trustworthy, efficient, respectful, reliable, thorough, communicative and reassuring. And at the end of the day, quality work! For the bigger projects, I feel confident knowing we have a go-to service to call.”–
“ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric are fantastic. I recently used them to replace my sump pump, which had exploded! They were very friendly on the phone and Rick H., our technician was fantastic. He explained things thoroughly, we was efficient and very nice. Will definitely be using him and…”–
“On only a day's notice, Adam came very prepared. He knew immediately what was the issue in each case. He replaced one toilet and repaired another. The bathrooms were left in great order and very clean. I am looking forward to having more work done by Adam and ABC.”–
“ABC was reliable and professional. Mike G was our technician and was a pleasure to work with. Down to earth, no pressure and gave you a straight answer to what you needed. Felt like I got an honest appraisal and was given a great quote. Will be calling them back…”–
“You never know for sure what you'll get when you need a contractor in a pinch. I chose ABC Plumbing out of my 2017 Best Picks Report for contractors because ABC was their top choice. After working them, I will use them again and tell everyone who needs this kind…”–
“EXCELLENT and FAST service provided by ABC plumbing and superb work at our home provided by Tom Glaza. He fielded, diagnosed and fixed all electrical issues. Tom is knowledgeable, friendly, efficient and explains everything in detail to customer so you know what he is fixing and gives accurate up front…”–