Outdoor Holiday Decoration Safety
Is there anything better than taking a walk down the block with your family, a hot cocoa in hand, gazing at all of the festive holiday decorations? If you ask us, the answer is no. Well, there may be something a little bit better and it’s making sure this holiday season is a safe one.
If you’ve spent hours hanging lights, strategically placing decorations and making sure everything is working properly to check the list below to make sure you followed a few basic safety rules. And if you haven’t decorated yet, don’t worry you still have time.
- Never use interior lights on the outside of your home. They’re not meant to deal with things like wind, rain or snow and can catch fire or cause electrical shock if they’re used improperly.
- Avoid stapling or nailing strands of lights to the house. You’ll run the risk of piercing the wires which could lead to a number of problems. We recommend using hooks instead.
- If you’re using spotlights to illuminate decorations, make sure they’re well-ventilated and are a safe distance away from flammable items.
- Do not pinch electrical cords in windows, doors or underneath furniture.
- Be sure to turn off and unplug all decorations before leaving the house or going to sleep. Not only is this a safety measure, it can help you keep energy bills to a minimum this season.
From our family to yours, ABC is wishing you all a very happy and healthy holiday season. And remember, when you need plumbing, heating or electrical service this winter, you know you can count on us!
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Keith and his crew were top notch. Calm/cool, trustworthy, efficient, respectful, reliable, thorough, communicative and reassuring. And at the end of the day, quality work! For the bigger projects, I feel confident knowing we have a go-to service to call.”–
“ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric are fantastic. I recently used them to replace my sump pump, which had exploded! They were very friendly on the phone and Rick H., our technician was fantastic. He explained things thoroughly, we was efficient and very nice. Will definitely be using him and…”–
“On only a day's notice, Adam came very prepared. He knew immediately what was the issue in each case. He replaced one toilet and repaired another. The bathrooms were left in great order and very clean. I am looking forward to having more work done by Adam and ABC.”–
“ABC was reliable and professional. Mike G was our technician and was a pleasure to work with. Down to earth, no pressure and gave you a straight answer to what you needed. Felt like I got an honest appraisal and was given a great quote. Will be calling them back…”–
“You never know for sure what you'll get when you need a contractor in a pinch. I chose ABC Plumbing out of my 2017 Best Picks Report for contractors because ABC was their top choice. After working them, I will use them again and tell everyone who needs this kind…”–
“EXCELLENT and FAST service provided by ABC plumbing and superb work at our home provided by Tom Glaza. He fielded, diagnosed and fixed all electrical issues. Tom is knowledgeable, friendly, efficient and explains everything in detail to customer so you know what he is fixing and gives accurate up front…”–