Outdoor Holiday Decoration Safety
Is there anything better than taking a walk down the block with your family, a hot cocoa in hand, gazing at all of the festive holiday decorations? If you ask us, the answer is no. Well, there may be something a little bit better and it’s making sure this holiday season is a safe one.
If you’ve spent hours hanging lights, strategically placing decorations and making sure everything is working properly to check the list below to make sure you followed a few basic safety rules. And if you haven’t decorated yet, don’t worry you still have time.
- Never use interior lights on the outside of your home. They’re not meant to deal with things like wind, rain or snow and can catch fire or cause electrical shock if they’re used improperly.
- Avoid stapling or nailing strands of lights to the house. You’ll run the risk of piercing the wires which could lead to a number of problems. We recommend using hooks instead.
- If you’re using spotlights to illuminate decorations, make sure they’re well-ventilated and are a safe distance away from flammable items.
- Do not pinch electrical cords in windows, doors or underneath furniture.
- Be sure to turn off and unplug all decorations before leaving the house or going to sleep. Not only is this a safety measure, it can help you keep energy bills to a minimum this season.
From our family to yours, ABC is wishing you all a very happy and healthy holiday season. And remember, when you need plumbing, heating or electrical service this winter, you know you can count on us!
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Have never had such an excellent technician to evaluate our furnace problem. If he hadn't been so thorough, it possibly could have resulted in a carbon monoxide disaster. A true professional!”–
“After a long day on a Friday (first snow of the year - lots of customers without heat), Dion L came to perform routine furnace inspection and filter change. Dion was courteous, efficient, informed us of all that he was doing, showed us an area of concern and how we…”–
“Ron S., fixed an electrical short in the attic, which prevented a fire. He rewired the attic thru the bedroom ceiling light. He replaced an outside electrical connection, and repaired my ceiling fan. The attic wiring was very crazy. He did an outstanding job figuring it out and fixing the…”–
“I called other before I call ABC and was giving long wait and schedule time to come out and check the heating system. So I received a message on the web about ABC Plumbing and Heating. So I called the company right away and they said what time would you…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Paul B. serviced my furnace yesterday with an inspection and cleaning. He didn't stop there though, I had purchased a new filter for my humidifier on the furnace and he replaced that for me, showed me how to do it in the future and explained how to adjust the humidity…”–