Keeping Children Safe From Electrical Hazards During the Holidays
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, deaths related to household fires caused by children are highest during the holiday season, with the number of children injured or killed by fires more than doubling this time of year.
The Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) offers these tips for keeping children safe.
- Keep young children away from holiday lights, electrical decorations and extension cords to prevent electrical shock and burn injuries.
- When visiting family and friends, make sure that the home is safe for young children. Look for and eliminate potential dangers around electrical outlets, candles, and exposed electrical cords.
- Avoid hanging Christmas tree lights, ornaments, metal hooks, and other small decorations on the lower limbs of the tree where they could easily be reached by a small child.
- Never leave a child unattended while cooking or when a stove is within reach.
- Never use space heaters in rooms where children are unsupervised. Children may stick their fingers or other objects through the protective guards, causing burns or shock.
- Replace electrical toys with battery-operated alternatives for children under ten years old.
- Avoid buying toys that might be flammable, and be sure all electrical toys bear a safety label from a nationally-recognized testing laboratory such as UL, CSA, or ETL.
Learn more about holiday electrical safety at holidaysafety.org.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Tom was awesome! He is very personable and explains the whole process well. He did a great job and ensured that he used 5-star service throughout the process. I will definitely use ABC and Tom again in the future for electrical work.”–
“Bill showed up on time to repair our broken air conditioner. ABC kept in touch throughout the day to let me know time he would be arriving too. Bill was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We wound up signing up for monthly care package because Bill and ABC really made…”–
“We were very pleased with the service performed by Brett Pack in performing the annual maintenance of our air conditioning unit. He noted it was low on refrigerant, which he then added after consulting with us. He also made sure we took advantage of all available discounts.”–
“Tom did a super job fixing our electrical problem. He is one of the best electricians I have ever had in my home for repair work. I would highly recommend Tom and ABC Company if you need any type of electrical work. He took his time and explained everything and…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Our AC was not working in the 90-degree summer heat. Josh identified that power was not going to the furnace blower. He identified that power was not going to the furnace breaker. His keen eye spotted that the wire leading into the breaker had frayed. He cut out the frayed…”–