Household Heating Statistics
It can be difficult to look at your home heating expenses and figure out where you stand. Is it normal for your power or gas bills to be getting so much higher in the winter? Should you worry about changes in fuel costs over the years? Is it time to consider making the jump to more efficient technologies, such as heat pumps or geothermal systems?
To help you understand household heating enough to make an informed decision, we’ve put together a few key household heating statistics you’ll find quite useful!
Basic Energy Expenses
Basic household heating statistics vary across the country, but we can still gather useful data from national trends alongside regional trends.
- Percent of household energy. The U.S. Department of Energy estimates roughly 48% of all residential energy use goes towards heating and cooling systems. An improvement in heating efficiency means a significant improvement in overall utility costs in cold climates.
- Average annual costs of heating nationwide. The U.S. Energy Information Administration estimated winter household heating expenditures averaging $578 for natural gas users, $1,437 for propane users, $930 for electric heat users, and $1,392 for heating oil users.
In Chicago, as in the rest of Illinois, the vast majority of homes use gas furnaces for heating; 80% at last count. Of the rest, most use electric heat, with a small minority using heating oil, propane, or other heating solutions as their primary source of heat.
Natural gas and electricity costs in Illinois both come in below the national average, with residential natural gas at 5% below national averages and residential electricity 2% below.
- Adjusting thermostat for empty home. The Department of Energy estimates savings of 10% annually for homes which adjust thermostats by 7-10 degrees for 8 hours a day. These benefits are reduced in more extreme weather and more consistently severe climates.
- Per degree of adjustment. According to the Department of Energy, each degree you drop your thermostat by in the winter will save you a minimum of 3% on your heating bill. Other sources give higher savings, such as the 5%+ estimate of EnergyHub.
- Upgrading to ENERGY STAR® furnaces. According to the EPA and other U.S. government statistics, ENERGY STAR certified gas furnaces are up to 16 percent more efficient than alternatives, saving an average of $94 annually.
Fuel Cost Trends
- Natural gas. The cost of natural gas declined nearly 34% in Illinois between 2011 and 2016, with a notable spike in costs during 2014 before a return to the downward trend.
- Electricity. Electricity costs have held an average increase of 1.9% annually over the last five years, roughly keeping pace with inflation.
The overall trend of energy use has gone down, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. 48% of residential energy consumption may be a lot, but it’s less than the majority of energy consumption used for heating and cooling in earlier years.
More Information with ABC in Chicago, IL
Want to find out more relevant information about your home heating and cooling systems? Keep up with the ABC blog where we discuss topics that include benefits and savings for our clients. When you need reliable heating and air conditioning services you can count on, be sure to contact us at any time!
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Tom was awesome! He is very personable and explains the whole process well. He did a great job and ensured that he used 5-star service throughout the process. I will definitely use ABC and Tom again in the future for electrical work.”–
“Bill showed up on time to repair our broken air conditioner. ABC kept in touch throughout the day to let me know time he would be arriving too. Bill was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We wound up signing up for monthly care package because Bill and ABC really made…”–
“We were very pleased with the service performed by Brett Pack in performing the annual maintenance of our air conditioning unit. He noted it was low on refrigerant, which he then added after consulting with us. He also made sure we took advantage of all available discounts.”–
“Tom did a super job fixing our electrical problem. He is one of the best electricians I have ever had in my home for repair work. I would highly recommend Tom and ABC Company if you need any type of electrical work. He took his time and explained everything and…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Our AC was not working in the 90-degree summer heat. Josh identified that power was not going to the furnace blower. He identified that power was not going to the furnace breaker. His keen eye spotted that the wire leading into the breaker had frayed. He cut out the frayed…”–
- satisfaction guaranteed
- customer service guarantee
- "no surprises" guarantee
- no-nonsense parts & labor warranty See More +
Our AC Guarantees
- equipment size guarantee
- lifetime installation materials warranty
- AC "level for life" warranty
- the exclusive "no-lemon" guarantee See More +