Holiday Decorating Safety TIps
When it comes to decorating for the holidays, homeowners often neglect to follow simple safety precautions that could leave them in a world of trouble. There are a lot of safety hazards that come about while using electrical cords, setting up lights and decorating the tree so keep these rules in mind as you decorate this season.
1. Need to use an extension cord to plug your lights or lawn decorations into an outlet? Check to see if your cord is labeled for outdoor use, otherwise keep it inside. Outdoor cords are designed specifically to handle the elements while indoor cords are not.
2. Hanging lights outside of your home? We recommend using clips or hooks, but if you must staple them be careful not to puncture or pinch any wires.
3. Have you been using the same lights for years? Holiday lights are now available with LED bulbs that won’t get hot and use less energy. Consider making the switch to save on energy bills this season.
4. Remember to turn lights and decorations off during the day, or any time you leave your home for an extended period.
5. Have a live tree? Make a note or set a reminder to water it regularly. A dry tree and any heat source can lead to a fire.
Have additional questions about how to keep your home safe this holiday season? Feel free to give ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric a call.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Tom was awesome! He is very personable and explains the whole process well. He did a great job and ensured that he used 5-star service throughout the process. I will definitely use ABC and Tom again in the future for electrical work.”–
“Bill showed up on time to repair our broken air conditioner. ABC kept in touch throughout the day to let me know time he would be arriving too. Bill was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We wound up signing up for monthly care package because Bill and ABC really made…”–
“We were very pleased with the service performed by Brett Pack in performing the annual maintenance of our air conditioning unit. He noted it was low on refrigerant, which he then added after consulting with us. He also made sure we took advantage of all available discounts.”–
“Tom did a super job fixing our electrical problem. He is one of the best electricians I have ever had in my home for repair work. I would highly recommend Tom and ABC Company if you need any type of electrical work. He took his time and explained everything and…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Our AC was not working in the 90-degree summer heat. Josh identified that power was not going to the furnace blower. He identified that power was not going to the furnace breaker. His keen eye spotted that the wire leading into the breaker had frayed. He cut out the frayed…”–