Holiday Decorating Safety TIps
When it comes to decorating for the holidays, homeowners often neglect to follow simple safety precautions that could leave them in a world of trouble. There are a lot of safety hazards that come about while using electrical cords, setting up lights and decorating the tree so keep these rules in mind as you decorate this season.
1. Need to use an extension cord to plug your lights or lawn decorations into an outlet? Check to see if your cord is labeled for outdoor use, otherwise keep it inside. Outdoor cords are designed specifically to handle the elements while indoor cords are not.
2. Hanging lights outside of your home? We recommend using clips or hooks, but if you must staple them be careful not to puncture or pinch any wires.
3. Have you been using the same lights for years? Holiday lights are now available with LED bulbs that won’t get hot and use less energy. Consider making the switch to save on energy bills this season.
4. Remember to turn lights and decorations off during the day, or any time you leave your home for an extended period.
5. Have a live tree? Make a note or set a reminder to water it regularly. A dry tree and any heat source can lead to a fire.
Have additional questions about how to keep your home safe this holiday season? Feel free to give ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric a call.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Have never had such an excellent technician to evaluate our furnace problem. If he hadn't been so thorough, it possibly could have resulted in a carbon monoxide disaster. A true professional!”–
“After a long day on a Friday (first snow of the year - lots of customers without heat), Dion L came to perform routine furnace inspection and filter change. Dion was courteous, efficient, informed us of all that he was doing, showed us an area of concern and how we…”–
“Ron S., fixed an electrical short in the attic, which prevented a fire. He rewired the attic thru the bedroom ceiling light. He replaced an outside electrical connection, and repaired my ceiling fan. The attic wiring was very crazy. He did an outstanding job figuring it out and fixing the…”–
“I called other before I call ABC and was giving long wait and schedule time to come out and check the heating system. So I received a message on the web about ABC Plumbing and Heating. So I called the company right away and they said what time would you…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Paul B. serviced my furnace yesterday with an inspection and cleaning. He didn't stop there though, I had purchased a new filter for my humidifier on the furnace and he replaced that for me, showed me how to do it in the future and explained how to adjust the humidity…”–