Fire Safety Tips, Holiday Edition
Did you know that U.S. fire departments responded to an annual average of 860 home fires that began with holiday decorations from 2009-2013? That’s the last thing you need when you’re preparing your home for guests this week. Find out how you can keep your home, your decorations and your family fire-free this holiday season:
- Heat and holiday decorations don’t mix. Keep them at least three feet away from the fireplace, candles, air vents and all other sources of heat.
- Carefully inspect all electrical cords and wires. Look for fraying or any other sort of damage to the wires as well as electrical outlets and remember to never string together multiple extension cords.
- Be sure to water your Christmas tree daily. Dry trees are much more likely to go up in flames.
- Check all smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they’re working properly. Now is also a great time to change the batteries if you haven’t done so in a while.
- Never leave cooking equipment unattended especially while cooking on a gas stove. If you must leave the room, even if it’s just for a quick second, ask somebody to keep an eye on the food.
We hope you have a safe and happy holiday and remember, when you need expert heating service in Arlington Heights or the surrounding neighborhoods you can always count on the experts at ABC!
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Have never had such an excellent technician to evaluate our furnace problem. If he hadn't been so thorough, it possibly could have resulted in a carbon monoxide disaster. A true professional!”–
“After a long day on a Friday (first snow of the year - lots of customers without heat), Dion L came to perform routine furnace inspection and filter change. Dion was courteous, efficient, informed us of all that he was doing, showed us an area of concern and how we…”–
“Ron S., fixed an electrical short in the attic, which prevented a fire. He rewired the attic thru the bedroom ceiling light. He replaced an outside electrical connection, and repaired my ceiling fan. The attic wiring was very crazy. He did an outstanding job figuring it out and fixing the…”–
“I called other before I call ABC and was giving long wait and schedule time to come out and check the heating system. So I received a message on the web about ABC Plumbing and Heating. So I called the company right away and they said what time would you…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Paul B. serviced my furnace yesterday with an inspection and cleaning. He didn't stop there though, I had purchased a new filter for my humidifier on the furnace and he replaced that for me, showed me how to do it in the future and explained how to adjust the humidity…”–