Consumer Warning: Faulty Circuit Breakers Can Cause Fires

Posted October 1, 2013

Your home's circuit breaker is designed to prevent an electrical overload or short circuit by cutting off the flow of electricity when a circuit becomes overloaded. If the breaker doesn't trip, the increasing current can cause the wires and enclosure to overheat, igniting a fire.


If your home was built twenty or more years ago, it may have a faulty circuit breaker. The defective breakers were made by Federal Pacific Electric and Sylvania/Zinsco. They are mostly found in homes built prior to 1990. Federal Pacific Electric circuit breakers have a condition that can cause them to not trip, allowing a dangerous overload condition that causes the wiring to overheat. Sylvania/Zinsco circuit breakers have a manufacturing defect that causes electrical arcing and overheating, which can destroy the integrity of the unit. These circuit breaker defects have led to numerous fires over the years. If you have a Zinsco or Federal Pacific panel, or are buying an older home, call ABC. Our licensed electricians are trained to identify the defective breakers and will inspect your electrical panel to ensure it is safe and not one of the defective units.

Our Promises To You

  • Icon of a clock with the number 24

    Convenient For You

    We Work on Your Schedule

  • Icon of a ribbon with a checkmark in the middle

    Background Checks

    We do Drug Tests And
Background Checks Before Hiring

  • Icon of two hands shaking

    No Need For Stress

    Get ABCs Worry-Free Guarantee at No Cost

  • Icon of a shield with a hand giving a thumbs up

    No Surprises

    Pricing is By the Job, Not the Hour