Check Your Air Conditioner For Mold
When an air conditioner is running, the condenser, located inside the home, creates condensation that accumulates into a pan before emptying down a condensation drain tube. If the tube becomes clogged, water can accumulate in the pan, allowing unhealthy mold and mildew to grow. By checking the drain pain occasionally and taking some basic maintenance steps you can prevent mold from growing.
Important: Before doing any work near the air conditioner always turn off the power first.
- If you notice water accumulating in the evaporator pan, check to see if the drain line is obstructed with debris. Use a wire to clear the tub if needed.
- Clean out the evaporator pan with hot soapy water, a small amount of bleach, and a sponge.
- Pour bleach through the pan’s condensate tube to kill mold and algae, which can clog the tube and cause the pan to overflow. Check the tube’s outside end to make sure it’s draining freely.
- To prevent future mold and algae growth, place a chlorine tablet, the kind used for hot tubs, in the evaporator pan.
Have questions about maintaining your air conditioner? Give us a call, we’re here to help.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Tom was awesome! He is very personable and explains the whole process well. He did a great job and ensured that he used 5-star service throughout the process. I will definitely use ABC and Tom again in the future for electrical work.”–
“Bill showed up on time to repair our broken air conditioner. ABC kept in touch throughout the day to let me know time he would be arriving too. Bill was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We wound up signing up for monthly care package because Bill and ABC really made…”–
“We were very pleased with the service performed by Brett Pack in performing the annual maintenance of our air conditioning unit. He noted it was low on refrigerant, which he then added after consulting with us. He also made sure we took advantage of all available discounts.”–
“Tom did a super job fixing our electrical problem. He is one of the best electricians I have ever had in my home for repair work. I would highly recommend Tom and ABC Company if you need any type of electrical work. He took his time and explained everything and…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Our AC was not working in the 90-degree summer heat. Josh identified that power was not going to the furnace blower. He identified that power was not going to the furnace breaker. His keen eye spotted that the wire leading into the breaker had frayed. He cut out the frayed…”–
- satisfaction guaranteed
- customer service guarantee
- "no surprises" guarantee
- no-nonsense parts & labor warranty See More +
Our AC Guarantees
- equipment size guarantee
- lifetime installation materials warranty
- AC "level for life" warranty
- the exclusive "no-lemon" guarantee See More +