5 Home Electrical Warning Signs
We don’t often think about electrical glitches around the home, but these little electrical issues can be a real hazard, causing house fires and electrical shock.
Here are some of the most common electrical warning signs that could signal a more serious problem with your homes electrical system.
1. Circuit Breakers That Repeatedly Trip.
A tripped circuit is a sign that the breaker is working correctly to prevent an overload. However, if a breaker is repeatedly tripping, it could be a sign that there is too large an electrical load on the circuit. In most cases resetting the breaker restores power, but in some cases the breaker cannot be reset, and it keeps tripping. Never attempt to press a breaker if it won’t reset, you’re likely to start an electrical fire. If a breaker refuses to reset on the first try, leave it off and call an electrician.
2. Lights That Flicker Or Turn Off Unexpectedly.
In some cases this is just a loose light bulb. However, it could also be a sign of a loose wiring connection or a light fixture that has worn out and is in need of replacement. Turn off the power to the fixture and investigate the supply wiring and the fixture itself. A qualified electrician should inspect the wiring and test the circuit breaker to ensure it’s operating safely.
3. Outlet Face Plates That Are Warm To The Touch.
Heat is a symptom of resistance caused by excessive electrical load operating on an outlet, improperly sized wiring or a loose electrical connection. Note that It’s common for dimmer switches to be warm. Unless the face plate itself is actually too hot to touch, a warm dimmer switch or dial is not a sign of a problem in most cases.
4. Loose Switches and Outlets.
Loose switches or outlet that are not properly mounted to the electrical box could cause overheating and a short circuit. Shut off power to the switch or outlet, remove the faceplate and ensure that it is securely attached to the stud.
5. GFCI Outlets That Trip Repeatedly.
If an appliance or tool repeatedly trips a GFCI, try plugging it into another GFCI outlet. If it keeps tripping the circuit, the appliance or tool may be the problem. If it works, the ground fault or GFCI outlet receptacle is likely defective and should be replaced.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Have never had such an excellent technician to evaluate our furnace problem. If he hadn't been so thorough, it possibly could have resulted in a carbon monoxide disaster. A true professional!”–
“After a long day on a Friday (first snow of the year - lots of customers without heat), Dion L came to perform routine furnace inspection and filter change. Dion was courteous, efficient, informed us of all that he was doing, showed us an area of concern and how we…”–
“Ron S., fixed an electrical short in the attic, which prevented a fire. He rewired the attic thru the bedroom ceiling light. He replaced an outside electrical connection, and repaired my ceiling fan. The attic wiring was very crazy. He did an outstanding job figuring it out and fixing the…”–
“I called other before I call ABC and was giving long wait and schedule time to come out and check the heating system. So I received a message on the web about ABC Plumbing and Heating. So I called the company right away and they said what time would you…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Paul B. serviced my furnace yesterday with an inspection and cleaning. He didn't stop there though, I had purchased a new filter for my humidifier on the furnace and he replaced that for me, showed me how to do it in the future and explained how to adjust the humidity…”–