4 Steps to Take to Prevent Frozen Pipes In the Home
Finding out that you have a frozen pipe during a cold snap can be more than inconvenience, if the pipe bursts, it can be a major catastrophe. According to the the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety (IBHS), a frozen pipe that bursts typically results in more than $5,000 worth of water damage.
Before the severe cold weather sets in, it’s important to ensure that your home’s plumbing system is ready for the deep freeze. Here are some steps to take:
Before the Temperature Drops
1. Water pipes in unheated sections of the home such as the garage or areas where pipes are against an exterior wall, such as under kitchen or bathroom sinks, should be insulated if they are accessible.
2. Use an exterior caulk to seal any cracks or holes in outside walls.
Once the Temperature Drops
3. For pipes that are located near exterior walls, leave kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors open to allow indoor air to circulate warmer air around the pipes.
4. Once the deep freeze arrive, allowing faucets to slowly drip can prevent water from freezing by relieving pressure in the event that water does freeze.
Have a plumbing emergency? Call ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric. We’re here to help.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Tom was awesome! He is very personable and explains the whole process well. He did a great job and ensured that he used 5-star service throughout the process. I will definitely use ABC and Tom again in the future for electrical work.”–
“Bill showed up on time to repair our broken air conditioner. ABC kept in touch throughout the day to let me know time he would be arriving too. Bill was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We wound up signing up for monthly care package because Bill and ABC really made…”–
“We were very pleased with the service performed by Brett Pack in performing the annual maintenance of our air conditioning unit. He noted it was low on refrigerant, which he then added after consulting with us. He also made sure we took advantage of all available discounts.”–
“Tom did a super job fixing our electrical problem. He is one of the best electricians I have ever had in my home for repair work. I would highly recommend Tom and ABC Company if you need any type of electrical work. He took his time and explained everything and…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Our AC was not working in the 90-degree summer heat. Josh identified that power was not going to the furnace blower. He identified that power was not going to the furnace breaker. His keen eye spotted that the wire leading into the breaker had frayed. He cut out the frayed…”–
- satisfaction guaranteed
- customer service guarantee
- "no surprises" guarantee
- no-nonsense parts & labor warranty See More +
Our AC Guarantees
- equipment size guarantee
- lifetime installation materials warranty
- AC "level for life" warranty
- the exclusive "no-lemon" guarantee See More +