4 Emergency Plumbing Tips
Ever come home to a broken pipe or a major leak? There’s never a good time for a plumbing emergency, but in an instance where a problem arises, you should be familiar with a few quick fixes. Follow the tips below to keep the mess under control until the plumber gets there:
- In case of a leak, know where the main water shut-off valve is located. This will allow you to turn off the flow of water to prevent major water damage. Heavy duty paper towels or rags will help to clean up the water until the plumber gets there to fix the problem.
- “Backing off” will allow your plumbing system to maintain its integrity. In order to keep the stress off of your plumbing, use two wrenches at once, turning in opposite directions.
- How can you temporarily fix a cracked or burst pipe? Duct tape or pipe sealing tape will help pull the crack together, but again, this is only a temporary solution. Call in a plumber for a permanent fix.
- Have a clogged toilet or sink drain? A cup plunger can be used to solve the problem. They have a funnel that applies extra force down the drain, which is useful for sinks or toilets. As a reminder, any time you use a plunger of any kind, you’re putting extra force on your pipes. This can cause the pipes to crack or shift, and can break seals. We suggest calling an expert plumber, who can clear the drain in the safest way possible for your plumbing.
Need Expert Plumbing Services?
In the Windy City and its neighboring towns, ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling, and Electric has you covered. As the leading Chicago plumbers, trust us with all your plumbing needs!
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Tom was awesome! He is very personable and explains the whole process well. He did a great job and ensured that he used 5-star service throughout the process. I will definitely use ABC and Tom again in the future for electrical work.”–
“Bill showed up on time to repair our broken air conditioner. ABC kept in touch throughout the day to let me know time he would be arriving too. Bill was professional, friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. We wound up signing up for monthly care package because Bill and ABC really made…”–
“We were very pleased with the service performed by Brett Pack in performing the annual maintenance of our air conditioning unit. He noted it was low on refrigerant, which he then added after consulting with us. He also made sure we took advantage of all available discounts.”–
“Tom did a super job fixing our electrical problem. He is one of the best electricians I have ever had in my home for repair work. I would highly recommend Tom and ABC Company if you need any type of electrical work. He took his time and explained everything and…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Sewer, Heating, Cooling and Electric. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Our AC was not working in the 90-degree summer heat. Josh identified that power was not going to the furnace blower. He identified that power was not going to the furnace breaker. His keen eye spotted that the wire leading into the breaker had frayed. He cut out the frayed…”–
- satisfaction guaranteed
- customer service guarantee
- "no surprises" guarantee
- no-nonsense parts & labor warranty See More +
Our AC Guarantees
- equipment size guarantee
- lifetime installation materials warranty
- AC "level for life" warranty
- the exclusive "no-lemon" guarantee See More +