10 Tips To Cut Your Cooling Costs This Season
According to the U.S. Department of Energy 40 percent of energy consumed by Chicago area homes is used for heating and cooling. To reduce these costs as much as possible we have put together a few tips on you can use to significantly decrease the amount that you spend to keep your home cool and more comfortable.
- Seal Air Leaks – Locate air leaks around windows, doors and outlets by burning a match stick while running the home’s fans. Weather-stripping is a simple and affordable fix that can cut up to 15 percent or more off cooling costs.
- Switch to CFL or LED Lights – Conventional incandescent bulbs emit a lot of heat. You will keep your home cooler with energy-efficient light bulbs while saving electricity over the long term.
- Use Curtains and Blinds – Keep south- and west-facing curtains and blinds closed on hot days and opened during cool evenings.
- Adjust Your Laundry Habits – Do your laundry in the evening when it’s cooler and wash clothes in cold water to help keep the home cooler. Hang clothes outside to dry on warm days.
- Unplug Electronics – TVs, DVD players, and computers that are turned off can still suck power out of outlets. Unplug electronics that are not in use. Use smart strips to make this easier.
- Program Your Thermostat – Program the thermostat to turn air conditioning off when the household is away to help save up to 10 percent on your cooling costs.
- Move the Thermostat – Make sure that the thermostat is located on an inside wall, away from drafts.
- Insulate Attic Access Points – Insulated covers are available for attic doors, hatches and pull-down stairs. Adequate insulation can cut heating and cooling cuts by 10 percent or more.
- Ventilate Attics – Ventilation fans help prevent heat from building up in the attic.
- Check the Ducts – Sealing and insulating the home’s duct distribution system enhances the cooling system’s efficiency.
- Schedule Maintenance – Arrange for regular maintenance to keep your air-conditioning system operating at peak efficiency.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Keith and his crew were top notch. Calm/cool, trustworthy, efficient, respectful, reliable, thorough, communicative and reassuring. And at the end of the day, quality work! For the bigger projects, I feel confident knowing we have a go-to service to call.”–
“ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric are fantastic. I recently used them to replace my sump pump, which had exploded! They were very friendly on the phone and Rick H., our technician was fantastic. He explained things thoroughly, we was efficient and very nice. Will definitely be using him and…”–
“On only a day's notice, Adam came very prepared. He knew immediately what was the issue in each case. He replaced one toilet and repaired another. The bathrooms were left in great order and very clean. I am looking forward to having more work done by Adam and ABC.”–
“ABC was reliable and professional. Mike G was our technician and was a pleasure to work with. Down to earth, no pressure and gave you a straight answer to what you needed. Felt like I got an honest appraisal and was given a great quote. Will be calling them back…”–
“You never know for sure what you'll get when you need a contractor in a pinch. I chose ABC Plumbing out of my 2017 Best Picks Report for contractors because ABC was their top choice. After working them, I will use them again and tell everyone who needs this kind…”–
“EXCELLENT and FAST service provided by ABC plumbing and superb work at our home provided by Tom Glaza. He fielded, diagnosed and fixed all electrical issues. Tom is knowledgeable, friendly, efficient and explains everything in detail to customer so you know what he is fixing and gives accurate up front…”–