10 Tips To Cut Your Cooling Costs This Season
According to the U.S. Department of Energy 40 percent of energy consumed by Chicago area homes is used for heating and cooling. To reduce these costs as much as possible we have put together a few tips on you can use to significantly decrease the amount that you spend to keep your home cool and more comfortable.
- Seal Air Leaks – Locate air leaks around windows, doors and outlets by burning a match stick while running the home’s fans. Weather-stripping is a simple and affordable fix that can cut up to 15 percent or more off cooling costs.
- Switch to CFL or LED Lights – Conventional incandescent bulbs emit a lot of heat. You will keep your home cooler with energy-efficient light bulbs while saving electricity over the long term.
- Use Curtains and Blinds – Keep south- and west-facing curtains and blinds closed on hot days and opened during cool evenings.
- Adjust Your Laundry Habits – Do your laundry in the evening when it’s cooler and wash clothes in cold water to help keep the home cooler. Hang clothes outside to dry on warm days.
- Unplug Electronics – TVs, DVD players, and computers that are turned off can still suck power out of outlets. Unplug electronics that are not in use. Use smart strips to make this easier.
- Program Your Thermostat – Program the thermostat to turn air conditioning off when the household is away to help save up to 10 percent on your cooling costs.
- Move the Thermostat – Make sure that the thermostat is located on an inside wall, away from drafts.
- Insulate Attic Access Points – Insulated covers are available for attic doors, hatches and pull-down stairs. Adequate insulation can cut heating and cooling cuts by 10 percent or more.
- Ventilate Attics – Ventilation fans help prevent heat from building up in the attic.
- Check the Ducts – Sealing and insulating the home’s duct distribution system enhances the cooling system’s efficiency.
- Schedule Maintenance – Arrange for regular maintenance to keep your air-conditioning system operating at peak efficiency.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Jonathan Henrich was very professional and provided expertise background information to my questions when replacing my sump pump and battery backup system. He was obviously knowledgeable about what he was doing and took pride in doing a great job. While the price was more than I expected, the work was…”–
“My experience with ABC was wonderful. The electrician, Bryan, who we worked with was fantastic. I would recommend this company to everyone! Very dependable, professional and friendly.”–
“I recently bought a home. For the first 6 months here I have been experiencing some electric issues. So, just two day ago - I had another shortage. Ryan came out and explained the issues. Im in sales, and he did not try to pressure me into doing the right…”–
“Anthony was my HVAC technician and I could not have had a better experience. He was professional and knowledgeable. He explained everything. I cannot tell you how nice it is to have someone like that to count on for my heating and air conditioning. Great Job Anthony”–
“Your fast, professional handling of the issue was remarkable in today’s business environment. No hassle and solid craftsmanship along with a knowledgeable technician, forces me to call you the next time I require plumbing assistance and makes ABC an easy referral to friends and neighbors. Thank you for your integrity.…”–
“I had a very positive experience with ABC…They even brought over space heaters for us and discounted the price the cost of a replacement part I had purchased two weeks prior. Great customer service.”–