10 Tips To Cut Your Cooling Costs This Season
According to the U.S. Department of Energy 40 percent of energy consumed by Chicago area homes is used for heating and cooling. To reduce these costs as much as possible we have put together a few tips on you can use to significantly decrease the amount that you spend to keep your home cool and more comfortable.
- Seal Air Leaks – Locate air leaks around windows, doors and outlets by burning a match stick while running the home’s fans. Weather-stripping is a simple and affordable fix that can cut up to 15 percent or more off cooling costs.
- Switch to CFL or LED Lights – Conventional incandescent bulbs emit a lot of heat. You will keep your home cooler with energy-efficient light bulbs while saving electricity over the long term.
- Use Curtains and Blinds – Keep south- and west-facing curtains and blinds closed on hot days and opened during cool evenings.
- Adjust Your Laundry Habits – Do your laundry in the evening when it’s cooler and wash clothes in cold water to help keep the home cooler. Hang clothes outside to dry on warm days.
- Unplug Electronics – TVs, DVD players, and computers that are turned off can still suck power out of outlets. Unplug electronics that are not in use. Use smart strips to make this easier.
- Program Your Thermostat – Program the thermostat to turn air conditioning off when the household is away to help save up to 10 percent on your cooling costs.
- Move the Thermostat – Make sure that the thermostat is located on an inside wall, away from drafts.
- Insulate Attic Access Points – Insulated covers are available for attic doors, hatches and pull-down stairs. Adequate insulation can cut heating and cooling cuts by 10 percent or more.
- Ventilate Attics – Ventilation fans help prevent heat from building up in the attic.
- Check the Ducts – Sealing and insulating the home’s duct distribution system enhances the cooling system’s efficiency.
- Schedule Maintenance – Arrange for regular maintenance to keep your air-conditioning system operating at peak efficiency.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Have never had such an excellent technician to evaluate our furnace problem. If he hadn't been so thorough, it possibly could have resulted in a carbon monoxide disaster. A true professional!”–
“After a long day on a Friday (first snow of the year - lots of customers without heat), Dion L came to perform routine furnace inspection and filter change. Dion was courteous, efficient, informed us of all that he was doing, showed us an area of concern and how we…”–
“Ron S., fixed an electrical short in the attic, which prevented a fire. He rewired the attic thru the bedroom ceiling light. He replaced an outside electrical connection, and repaired my ceiling fan. The attic wiring was very crazy. He did an outstanding job figuring it out and fixing the…”–
“I called other before I call ABC and was giving long wait and schedule time to come out and check the heating system. So I received a message on the web about ABC Plumbing and Heating. So I called the company right away and they said what time would you…”–
“I am so impressed with Chris and ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling. His friendliness honest approach to his Job is remarkable. Thanks Chris for making my day and believing that they are still great honorable people out there.”–
“Paul B. serviced my furnace yesterday with an inspection and cleaning. He didn't stop there though, I had purchased a new filter for my humidifier on the furnace and he replaced that for me, showed me how to do it in the future and explained how to adjust the humidity…”–