Is Your Home Ready For The Cooling Season? Here Are Some Things To Check
With warm weather fast approaching in the Chicagoland area, this is the time to ensure your air conditioner is prepared for the hot summer months ahead. Proper cooling system maintenance, along with a few simple steps to keep your home cool, will ensure that your air conditioning operates at peak efficiency keeping your utility bill in check and limiting the chance of unexpected breakdowns and repairs.
1. Call ABC to schedule an annual AC inspection and tune-up. Your technician will perform a comprehensive inspection to find any potential problems that could lead to a breakdown. A dirty, unmaintained can cost you hundreds of extra dollars in extra energy costs each season, while also shortening the lifespan of the unit, so a tune-up is cheap insurance.
2. Change your furnace filter at least once a month. Clean filters enable your HVAC system to operate more efficiently, causing less wear on the motors and parts. It will also keep the air in your home cleaner and healthier.
3. Inspect your air ducts to ensure there are no leaks. Gaps in air ducts should be sealed with duct tape.
4. Replace or install weather stripping around doors, windows and baseboards. Cracked or worn weather stripping allows cool air to escape.
5. Make sure that your home is well insulated. Fiberglass insulation is the easiest to install and the most effective. Insulation with an R factor between 30 and 49 is effective and can save up to 10 percent in energy costs.
6. Manage the temperature with a programmable theremostat. Keep the temperature cool at night and warmer during the day when you’re away from home. Programmable thermostats are an affordable way to control indoor temperatures for optimal comfort and efficiency.
7. Block out direct sun with drapes and window shades.
8. Use ceiling fans to help circulate cool air throughout the house.
9. Plan hot work for cooler morning and evening hours. Basic household functions such as washing, drying and ironing clothes, baking and cooking all make it harder for the cooling system to do its job.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Jonathan Henrich was very professional and provided expertise background information to my questions when replacing my sump pump and battery backup system. He was obviously knowledgeable about what he was doing and took pride in doing a great job. While the price was more than I expected, the work was…”–
“My experience with ABC was wonderful. The electrician, Bryan, who we worked with was fantastic. I would recommend this company to everyone! Very dependable, professional and friendly.”–
“I recently bought a home. For the first 6 months here I have been experiencing some electric issues. So, just two day ago - I had another shortage. Ryan came out and explained the issues. Im in sales, and he did not try to pressure me into doing the right…”–
“Anthony was my HVAC technician and I could not have had a better experience. He was professional and knowledgeable. He explained everything. I cannot tell you how nice it is to have someone like that to count on for my heating and air conditioning. Great Job Anthony”–
“Your fast, professional handling of the issue was remarkable in today’s business environment. No hassle and solid craftsmanship along with a knowledgeable technician, forces me to call you the next time I require plumbing assistance and makes ABC an easy referral to friends and neighbors. Thank you for your integrity.…”–
“I had a very positive experience with ABC…They even brought over space heaters for us and discounted the price the cost of a replacement part I had purchased two weeks prior. Great customer service.”–