Are You Heating Your Home in the Summer?
During the hot, humid summer months it’s important to take steps to help your air conditioner work as efficiently as possible. Some of these steps are obvious, such as closing blinds to block the sun, running ceiling fans to circulate the cool air, and keeping windows as doors closed. However, a lot of the heat and humidity is actually created inside the home, which can significantly increase your cooling costs.
Here are a few tips to help reduce the heat and humidity from within your home:
1. Turn off incandescent bulbs. Because most of the energy from incandescent bulbs goes to generating heat rather than light (only 5%), turning them off when not needed will reduce the heat in rooms significantly. Better yet, consider switching to compact florescent (CFL) light bulbs, which convert more of their energy into light, thereby operating much cooler.
2. Keep lamps, TVs and other heat generating appliances away from the thermostat.
3. Cook outside with a grill or use your microwave instead of the oven or range.
4. Make sure your dryer and bathroom exhaust ducts are venting outside and not into your attic.
5. Line dry clothes outside. Dryers generate not just heat, but a lot of humidity.
6. Air dry dishes in your dishwasher. The drying cycle of a dishwasher generates a lot of warm, humid air.
7. Use a water heater blanket. This will not only reduce heat in the home but will make your water heater operate more efficiently.
8. Turn off the gas supply to fireplaces and heaters. The piot light creates heat and wastes gas.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Jonathan Henrich was very professional and provided expertise background information to my questions when replacing my sump pump and battery backup system. He was obviously knowledgeable about what he was doing and took pride in doing a great job. While the price was more than I expected, the work was…”– Jonathon H.
“My experience with ABC was wonderful. The electrician, Bryan, who we worked with was fantastic. I would recommend this company to everyone! Very dependable, professional and friendly.”– Bryan J.
“I recently bought a home. For the first 6 months here I have been experiencing some electric issues. So, just two day ago - I had another shortage. Ryan came out and explained the issues. Im in sales, and he did not try to pressure me into doing the right…”– Ryan B.
“Anthony was my HVAC technician and I could not have had a better experience. He was professional and knowledgeable. He explained everything. I cannot tell you how nice it is to have someone like that to count on for my heating and air conditioning. Great Job Anthony”– Anthony H.
“Your fast, professional handling of the issue was remarkable in today’s business environment. No hassle and solid craftsmanship along with a knowledgeable technician, forces me to call you the next time I require plumbing assistance and makes ABC an easy referral to friends and neighbors. Thank you for your integrity.…”– Bob S.
“I had a very positive experience with ABC…They even brought over space heaters for us and discounted the price the cost of a replacement part I had purchased two weeks prior. Great customer service.”– Tim L.