Is there anything better than taking a walk down the block with your family, a hot cocoa in hand, gazing at all of the festive holiday decorations? If you ask us, the answer is no. Well, there may be something a little bit better and it’s making sure this holiday season is a safe one.
If you’ve spent hours hanging lights, strategically placing decorations and making sure everything is working properly to check the list below to make sure you followed a few basic safety rules. And if you haven’t decorated yet, don’t worry you still have time.
- Never use interior lights on the outside of your home. They’re not meant to deal with things like wind, rain or snow and can catch fire or cause electrical shock if they’re used improperly.
- Avoid stapling or nailing strands of lights to the house. You’ll run the risk of piercing the wires which could lead to a number of problems. We recommend using hooks instead.
- If you’re using spotlights to illuminate decorations, make sure they’re well-ventilated and are a safe distance away from flammable items.
- Do not pinch electrical cords in windows, doors or underneath furniture.
- Be sure to turn off and unplug all decorations before leaving the house or going to sleep. Not only is this a safety measure, it can help you keep energy bills to a minimum this season.
From our family to yours, ABC is wishing you all a very happy and healthy holiday season. And remember, when you need plumbing, heating or electrical service this winter, you know you can count on us!