The Most Common Home Air Conditioner Problems
Home air conditioner problems usually fall into three categories:
1. The Air Conditioner Isn’t Cooling Properly
When the unit is cooling properly the most common reasons are:
- The refrigerant level is low or is leaking. A technician should repair the leak and recharge the unit
- The Thermostat could be out of adjustment or is not located correctly in the room
2. The Air Conditioner Isn’t Turning On
- First, check the circuit breaker to see it the unit’s electrical circuit has tripped and needs to be reset
- If the air conditioner still won’t turn on it could be from electrical controls that run the fan and compressor have worn out and need replacement. Have an HVAC specialist inspect the unit
3. There Is Insufficient Airflow
- The most likely cause is a dirty furnace air filter that is restricting airflow
- The air ducts may be leaking or clogged. Air duct cleaning and duct sealing can dramatically improve airflow and cooling efficiency
Need help solving your central air conditioner problems? Call ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling and Electric, we’re here to help.
For more air conditioner tips and advice, visit energy.gov
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Jonathan Henrich was very professional and provided expertise background information to my questions when replacing my sump pump and battery backup system. He was obviously knowledgeable about what he was doing and took pride in doing a great job. While the price was more than I expected, the work was…”– Jonathon H.
“My experience with ABC was wonderful. The electrician, Bryan, who we worked with was fantastic. I would recommend this company to everyone! Very dependable, professional and friendly.”– Bryan J.
“I recently bought a home. For the first 6 months here I have been experiencing some electric issues. So, just two day ago - I had another shortage. Ryan came out and explained the issues. Im in sales, and he did not try to pressure me into doing the right…”– Ryan B.
“Anthony was my HVAC technician and I could not have had a better experience. He was professional and knowledgeable. He explained everything. I cannot tell you how nice it is to have someone like that to count on for my heating and air conditioning. Great Job Anthony”– Anthony H.
“Your fast, professional handling of the issue was remarkable in today’s business environment. No hassle and solid craftsmanship along with a knowledgeable technician, forces me to call you the next time I require plumbing assistance and makes ABC an easy referral to friends and neighbors. Thank you for your integrity.…”– Bob S.
“I had a very positive experience with ABC…They even brought over space heaters for us and discounted the price the cost of a replacement part I had purchased two weeks prior. Great customer service.”– Tim L.