What To Do During a Winter Power Outage
While power outages are more common during the summer months when electrical storms are more frequent and the power grid is under stress from hot weather, power outages during the cold winter months present a different kind of risk for homeowners.
Preparing for a winter power outage
- Check flashlights and portable devices like radios and cell phones to ensure that they are working and fully charged.
- Have a home emergency kit with food, water and other critical supplies.
- Keep extra batteries in a safe place or have a solar-powered or hand crank charger available.
- If a winter storm is coming that may cause a power outage fill your bathtub and spare containers of water. This water can be used to replenish the toilet bowl.
- Know where the manual release lever of your electric garage door opener is located.
- Consider installing a standby power generator to provide power during an outage.
What to do during a winter power outage
- Let faucets drip a little to relieve pressure and avoid freezing pipes.
- Use your car charger to keep your cell phone charged.
- Never use outdoor cooking appliances or heaters indoors. They can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Use flashlights or other battery-powered lights if possible, instead of candles. If you do use candles, never leave them burning unattended.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Jonathan Henrich was very professional and provided expertise background information to my questions when replacing my sump pump and battery backup system. He was obviously knowledgeable about what he was doing and took pride in doing a great job. While the price was more than I expected, the work was…”–
“My experience with ABC was wonderful. The electrician, Bryan, who we worked with was fantastic. I would recommend this company to everyone! Very dependable, professional and friendly.”–
“I recently bought a home. For the first 6 months here I have been experiencing some electric issues. So, just two day ago - I had another shortage. Ryan came out and explained the issues. Im in sales, and he did not try to pressure me into doing the right…”–
“Anthony was my HVAC technician and I could not have had a better experience. He was professional and knowledgeable. He explained everything. I cannot tell you how nice it is to have someone like that to count on for my heating and air conditioning. Great Job Anthony”–
“Your fast, professional handling of the issue was remarkable in today’s business environment. No hassle and solid craftsmanship along with a knowledgeable technician, forces me to call you the next time I require plumbing assistance and makes ABC an easy referral to friends and neighbors. Thank you for your integrity.…”–
“I had a very positive experience with ABC…They even brought over space heaters for us and discounted the price the cost of a replacement part I had purchased two weeks prior. Great customer service.”–