Water Heater Safety Tips
It’s that time of year again – when temperatures drop down below freezing and homeowners across the Chicagoland area give their home’s heating equipment a bit more thought than normal. We all know how nice a hot shower can be after long day out in the cold, but if you don’t pay any attention to your water heater this season, you could be in for a rude awakening.
- Flush your water heater at least once per year. Over time, sediment from the water builds up inside the tank which can clog valves and reduce efficiency.
- Test the Temperature-Pressure release valve to make sure it’s working properly. This valve is designed to open up in any instance of excessively high temperature or pressure inside the tank. If you’re not comfortable doing it yourself, your plumber will gladly take care of it for you.
- Avoid scalding by keeping your water heater set to 120ºF. Setting it higher can lead to burns as soon as the water from the taps in your home comes in contact with your skin. It is however, important not to set it lower than 120ºF as unhealthy bacteria can form and grow.
- Clear the area around the water heater of combustibles if you have a gas-fired model. This also includes dust, dirt, paper or anything else that could catch fire.
- Call the experts at ABC to replace your sacrificial anode. This is an extremely important maintenance step as the rod helps to protect the inside of your tank from corroding.
ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling & Electric recommends that you have one of our elite plumbers perform an annual water heater tune-up and safety inspection. These tune-ups help keep your water heater in top condition, running safely and efficiently and that if any issues are discovered they can be repaired before they become a major inconvenience. Call us today to schedule an appointment and don’t forget to connect with us on Facebook!
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Jonathan Henrich was very professional and provided expertise background information to my questions when replacing my sump pump and battery backup system. He was obviously knowledgeable about what he was doing and took pride in doing a great job. While the price was more than I expected, the work was…”– Jonathon H.
“My experience with ABC was wonderful. The electrician, Bryan, who we worked with was fantastic. I would recommend this company to everyone! Very dependable, professional and friendly.”– Bryan J.
“I recently bought a home. For the first 6 months here I have been experiencing some electric issues. So, just two day ago - I had another shortage. Ryan came out and explained the issues. Im in sales, and he did not try to pressure me into doing the right…”– Ryan B.
“Anthony was my HVAC technician and I could not have had a better experience. He was professional and knowledgeable. He explained everything. I cannot tell you how nice it is to have someone like that to count on for my heating and air conditioning. Great Job Anthony”– Anthony H.
“Your fast, professional handling of the issue was remarkable in today’s business environment. No hassle and solid craftsmanship along with a knowledgeable technician, forces me to call you the next time I require plumbing assistance and makes ABC an easy referral to friends and neighbors. Thank you for your integrity.…”– Bob S.
“I had a very positive experience with ABC…They even brought over space heaters for us and discounted the price the cost of a replacement part I had purchased two weeks prior. Great customer service.”– Tim L.