The Right Way To Care For Your Water Heater
Imagine life without hot water this winter. Hard to think about, right? Well, if you don’t spend a few minutes taking care of your equipment this fall, that’s exactly how you’ll end up. And we don’t mean to scare you, we just want to make sure you’re getting the most out of your water heater while keeping it running efficiently and reliably.
Here’s what you need to do as soon as you get a couple of minutes of downtime this week or weekend:
- If you have an older unit, it’s a good idea to insulate it. Look for a fiberglass jacket to improve efficiency, but be careful to avoid contact with the flue.
- Keep at least 2-3 feet of clearance around the unit.
- Take a look at the temperature setting. It should be set no higher than 120°F and keep in mind that you’ll save 5% in energy costs for every 10 degrees you lower the temperature.
- Drain the tank at least once per year. This will help to remove sediment build-up and will allow the unit to operate more quietly.
- Heading out of town for a few days? Adjust the thermostat to the “vacation” setting. The pilot light will remain lit, but no water will be heated. The result? Much-needed energy savings.
Having issues with your water heater? Contact the pros at ABC Plumbing, Heating, Cooling & Electric today! Our specialists will come by to diagnose the problem and provide you with the best possible solution.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Jonathan Henrich was very professional and provided expertise background information to my questions when replacing my sump pump and battery backup system. He was obviously knowledgeable about what he was doing and took pride in doing a great job. While the price was more than I expected, the work was…”–
“My experience with ABC was wonderful. The electrician, Bryan, who we worked with was fantastic. I would recommend this company to everyone! Very dependable, professional and friendly.”–
“I recently bought a home. For the first 6 months here I have been experiencing some electric issues. So, just two day ago - I had another shortage. Ryan came out and explained the issues. Im in sales, and he did not try to pressure me into doing the right…”–
“Anthony was my HVAC technician and I could not have had a better experience. He was professional and knowledgeable. He explained everything. I cannot tell you how nice it is to have someone like that to count on for my heating and air conditioning. Great Job Anthony”–
“Your fast, professional handling of the issue was remarkable in today’s business environment. No hassle and solid craftsmanship along with a knowledgeable technician, forces me to call you the next time I require plumbing assistance and makes ABC an easy referral to friends and neighbors. Thank you for your integrity.…”–
“I had a very positive experience with ABC…They even brought over space heaters for us and discounted the price the cost of a replacement part I had purchased two weeks prior. Great customer service.”–