The 7 Most Common Causes of Electrical Fires In The Home
There are nearly 30,000 electrical fires in the U.S. per year causing an estimated $1.1 billion in property damage and over 300 deaths.
The winter months are the most common time of year for electrical fires. Most of these fires are cause by electric heaters.
Other fires occur because of defects in wiring or appliance failure, and many happen because of overloaded electrical outlets or extension cords.
Here are the 5 most common causes of electrical fires in the home:
1. Faulty electrical outlets and aging appliances. This can include faults in appliance cords, receptacles and switches. If an appliance has a worn or frayed cord it can generate dangerous levels of heat, igniting surfaces like rugs and curtains, starting a fire.
2. Using ungrounded plugs. Appliances have the a third prong so they can be only used in outlets designed to handle the demands of higher wattage appliances. Never circumvent the ground on an appliance or power cord.
3. Overloading light fixtures. Installing a high wattage bulb into a lamps or light fixtures that it is not designed for is a leading cause of electrical fires. Always install a bulb that is within the recommended wattage.
4. Placing flammable material near light fixtures. Placing cloth or paper over a lampshade can cause the material heat up and ignite, causing a fire.
5. Extension cord misuse. Large appliances should not be plugged into an extension cord. If you do not have a nearby outlet for your appliances, you should have one installed.
6. Space heaters. Placing electric heater too close to combustible surfaces such as curtains, bedding and furniture is a leading cause of house fires. Coil space heaters should be avoided if possible. Liquid filled “soft heat” electric heaters are safest.
7. Old wiring. If your home is over twenty years old, it may not have the capacity to handle today’s energy intensive homes. In addition, outdated breaker boxes often have worn connectors that do not work, causing the system to overload.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Jonathan Henrich was very professional and provided expertise background information to my questions when replacing my sump pump and battery backup system. He was obviously knowledgeable about what he was doing and took pride in doing a great job. While the price was more than I expected, the work was…”– Jonathon H.
“My experience with ABC was wonderful. The electrician, Bryan, who we worked with was fantastic. I would recommend this company to everyone! Very dependable, professional and friendly.”– Bryan J.
“I recently bought a home. For the first 6 months here I have been experiencing some electric issues. So, just two day ago - I had another shortage. Ryan came out and explained the issues. Im in sales, and he did not try to pressure me into doing the right…”– Ryan B.
“Anthony was my HVAC technician and I could not have had a better experience. He was professional and knowledgeable. He explained everything. I cannot tell you how nice it is to have someone like that to count on for my heating and air conditioning. Great Job Anthony”– Anthony H.
“Your fast, professional handling of the issue was remarkable in today’s business environment. No hassle and solid craftsmanship along with a knowledgeable technician, forces me to call you the next time I require plumbing assistance and makes ABC an easy referral to friends and neighbors. Thank you for your integrity.…”– Bob S.
“I had a very positive experience with ABC…They even brought over space heaters for us and discounted the price the cost of a replacement part I had purchased two weeks prior. Great customer service.”– Tim L.