Protecting Children From Electric Outlet Shock in the Home
According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) 2,400 children in the U.S. are treated for injuries caused by electrical outlets. To gauge the level of risk in the average home with small children, the ESFI conducted a survey of mothers with young children regarding the importance of Tamper Resistant Receptacles (TRRs), which have been required by the National Electrical Code since 2008 to prevent these injuries. The results show that much more education is needed.
- 44% of respondents are not familiar at all with TRRs
- 40% agree that plastic outlet caps could be removed by toddlers
- Nearly 1/3 of parents with young children do not have their outlets childproofed
- 86% of parents who childproof their outlets use plastic outlet caps
- Over 1/3 are unaware if their child’s daycare provider or school childproofs their electrical outlets
- 61% of respondents who have TRRs have them due to previous installation before they moved
You can read the full results of the survey here.
There are three main reasons TRRs preferred over other outlet protection devices such as caps or sliding outlet covers:
- Outlet caps can pose a choking hazard
- 100% of all 2-4 year olds were able to remove one type of plastic outlet cap within 10 seconds in a study by Temple University
- TRRs provide permanent security against the insertion of objects other than cord plugs into the energized slots.
Have questions about childproofing your home’s electrical system? Call ABC, we’re here to help.
Neighbors Are Saying About ABC
“Jonathan Henrich was very professional and provided expertise background information to my questions when replacing my sump pump and battery backup system. He was obviously knowledgeable about what he was doing and took pride in doing a great job. While the price was more than I expected, the work was…”–
“My experience with ABC was wonderful. The electrician, Bryan, who we worked with was fantastic. I would recommend this company to everyone! Very dependable, professional and friendly.”–
“I recently bought a home. For the first 6 months here I have been experiencing some electric issues. So, just two day ago - I had another shortage. Ryan came out and explained the issues. Im in sales, and he did not try to pressure me into doing the right…”–
“Anthony was my HVAC technician and I could not have had a better experience. He was professional and knowledgeable. He explained everything. I cannot tell you how nice it is to have someone like that to count on for my heating and air conditioning. Great Job Anthony”–
“Your fast, professional handling of the issue was remarkable in today’s business environment. No hassle and solid craftsmanship along with a knowledgeable technician, forces me to call you the next time I require plumbing assistance and makes ABC an easy referral to friends and neighbors. Thank you for your integrity.…”–
“I had a very positive experience with ABC…They even brought over space heaters for us and discounted the price the cost of a replacement part I had purchased two weeks prior. Great customer service.”–